• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What light are they using?

When you see nighttime scenes in rooms, they light it in such that the light is a yellowish tint, giving you the feeling that the light is naturally coming off lamps.

For example:

05035919_.jpg

My lights are like white light, (daylight), so how do I get light to look like indoor lighting and not the sun...?

Awesome knightly, thank you! What gels do you use for the night time room shots, like no country for old men?

And the router connects to my lights correct? allowing me to control how much light to output? thanks!

When you see nighttime scenes in rooms, they light it in such that the light is a yellowish tint, giving you the feeling that the light is naturally coming off lamps.

For example:

05035919_.jpg

My lights are like white light, (daylight), so how do I get light to look like indoor lighting and not the sun...?
Gel them and use an incandescent a as practical.

which gel produces this effect? The tungsten one?

Gels are like big sheets of cellophane. They come in all colours of the rainbow, and in various strengths.

There is no "tungsten" one, though the gels do work like colour-correcting filters that you might plop on a lens of a camera. (Blue-ish shades to make tungsten light seem more like daylight, and yellow/orange ones to make daylight-coloured light sources more like tungten.)

using an incandescent as a practical?

See that lamp to the right of the guy? That's a "practical". It's a real source of light, visible as part of the set, that is also being used to help light the guy. But it's also a genuine object that would be in a room like that anyway.

use the CTOs (Color Temperature Orange)... you could also white balance to something opposite yellow on the color wheel. I like using scrapbooking paper (lots of colors), just get very subtle off white sheets of every possible type so you can white balance to them to get a color effect in camera...

or just push it slightly yellow in a color corrector in your editor.

Couldn't you just use a subtle amber gel? with a slight post filter. The practical in the shot will light it pretty well in addition to a 1k or amber pepper...they may be using a subtle white bounce on the other side of the room...but for the most part it's pretty dark over there. The practical is the main source of light...they may be using a slight amber fill.

Thanks for the info guys.

To my understanding, when white balancing, you first turn on the key light, turn off all other lights, white balance, then turn on the other lights? correct? This is what some guy was telling me on 3 point lighting.

So if I have practicals in the room, I should turn them off, and white balance with my keylight first before turning them on? If I am incorrect, can you plz give me a quick refresher course on the white balance. thanks in advance!

Thanks for the info guys.

To my understanding, when white balancing, you first turn on the key light, turn off all other lights, white balance, then turn on the other lights? correct? This is what some guy was telling me on 3 point lighting.

So if I have practicals in the room, I should turn them off, and white balance with my keylight first before turning them on? If I am incorrect, can you plz give me a quick refresher course on the white balance. thanks in advance!

When you white balance, you don't want any colored lighting influencing the sheet of paper (or whatever you use) while you balance.

Back