connecting ntg 2 to hv30

Plannig on getting a rode ntg 2 and a canon hv30. Srry cannot afford beachtek preamp thing, but need converter cables to hook up to hv30. I dont need miles of length, but prob enough in case I run into that sort of problem. I was thinking aroud 25 feet or so. Now, can someone give me a list of all the cables I need to hook it up and so it wont be making noise and balancing and stuff like that? I figured and xlr to mini cable, but anything else? I dont get the xlr male and female (what it means) and right angled xlr cable, and dont know if I even need them.if u can give me the precise names and website, that would be great. I'm planning on getting the camera and mic from bandh, so getting the cables from there would be helpful if possible. PLEEEEse help!

You'll need something like the Pearstone LMT100 impedance converter:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/589872-REG/Pearstone_8111240_LMT100_Low_to.html

Get at least a 50' XLR cable. Why? You'll eat up 5' just getting from the camera to the ground (you don't want to pull the cable taut on the camera, right?) and another 3' to 8' on the boom pole. Don't you think that you might want to get more than 12' from the camera? And get GOOD quality cable like Pro Co, Mogami or Monster. Cheap cables have less insulation (you may pick up more RF noise), cheap connectors and since they wear out faster you actually spend more on cable in the long run.

Since the NTG-2 requires phantom power make sure that you always use fresh batteries; low voltage can cause distortion.

Also, call B&H and talk to a rep there. S/he might have other suggestions. Order through him/her; developing a relationship with a sales rep can have positive results down the line.

Get the amount of cable you need. The longer the cable the worse the sound (not by much, but it worsens as it gets longer). If you need to go longer you can join cables or have a long one on hand.

As stated above only use good cables. I recommend: http://www.bettercables.com/xlr-balanced-interconnect-cables.aspx
26.24 feet = $119.98.
Don't cheap out on the cable when getting a good mic or you defeat the purpose!

I'd get get three sets from this company. The 32, the 26, the 16. You will be pretty much set.

ok, so I;m just sliht;y confused. Someone on another forum suggested this cable. Would this suffice?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...sive_XLRP_MPS_25EXF_EXF_Stereo_Mini_Male.html

If not, could you lay out links for every item or explain how i'm getting them. Im a little lost on indietalks link, is that all I would need? and to the other post, If I get that thing accordeing to the link, then whats the best xlr cable to match your description. A link you could give me? btw, Im making my own boom pole, so do I need a shockmount, too? I just want to get everything right. Ask if Im not being clear enough. And do I really need to spend over $100? Thats a little over what I thought.

That is exactly the cable you need. The mini plug goes into your camera's
mic input - then the XLR end attaches to the microphone.

There are two different way for you to go about this process, movieman.
Some people are suggesting you spend quite a bit of money buying all
the right equipment. A top quality cable is better (and more expensive)
then lower quality so Alcove is right. An impedance transformer is very
helpful. 50 feet of cable is more versatile than 25 feet, but can cause
some interference problems. A shock mount is quite important.

But if you don't have the money right now, relax. Buy the 25 ft. cable
and attach it to your camera and start making movies. When you can
afford more cable, but it. When you can afford an impedance transformer,
buy it. When you can afford a shock mount, buy it.

There is no need for you to own all the top of the line equipment all
at once. Buy your mic and that cable and start making a movie!

I usually go cheap or expensive. Cheap, you can practice with and break things. Expensive, you get the best. Middle of the road is... shoulda went cheap, or, shoulda upgraded to the more expensive ;)
Anyways, good luck.
Now go buy something and quit listening to people, you will keep getting different opinions ;)

An impedance transformer is very helpful.
The NTG-2 is a low-Z mic (requires phantom power or a battery), the input on your camera is hi-Z. If you don't get the impedance transformer you will get low audio levels and some added noise.

50 feet of cable is more versatile than 25 feet, but can cause some interference problems.
Shouldn't be a problem with quality cables as they are well shielded. I've run 100' of Mogami without any interference problems.

A shock mount is quite important.

AMEN!

There is no need for you to own all the top of the line equipment all at once.

As crazy as it sounds, buy quality accessories to go with your inexpensive/budget gear. A quality shockmount, cable, tripod, etc. can be used with the cheap stuff or the pro gear, so when you upgrade you don't have to upgrade your accessories as well. A few extra bucks now will save you money in the long run.

Excellent advice Alcove.

But sometimes a beginning filmmaker doesn't need to purchase pro gear.
Sometimes a new filmmakers just doesn't have the up front money to
put into expensive audio gear, lighting packages or even the camera.

If movieman can afford the best accessories right away I totally agree
with you. I tend to think a beginning filmmaker can buy cheaper, do
a lot of DIY and after several finished movies, spend the money on pro
gear. If that's the way they decide to go.

For about three years I used a wire coat hanger, bent into a circle and
attached my mic to the middle of the circle with two rubber bands as
a shock mount.

A method that would make any audio pro cringe. But it worked. I made
several short films using that home made contraption.

I started my professional life as a touring musician (keyboards/vocals). Until later in my career I never had state of the art gear. However, I always got the best quality cases (protecting my investments), cables (I hate hums, hiss and crackles), stands (it's not the best gear, but I want it where I want it and don't want it hitting the floor) and electrical. When I upgraded the new gear went into an old cases, was wired up with the same cables, was placed on the same stand and hooked up to the same power system.

The other thing is maintenance; do everything you are supposed to to keep everything on top working order.

srry, but I had to post something quick in response. I would get the one I asked about before right away, but on another post a while ago someone mentioned a certain couple brands of cables: monster and pro co. I looked them both up on bandh, and the price was in my range, so I thought I mine as well just get the better quality right away (plus Im actually doing a lot of silent films right now). Here are the links. I was thinking one of these cables along with the impedence matcher would be very good, right? Im kind of guessing on these specific cables, hoping theyre the right one, but they seem pretty good. IF theyre not quality enough than Ill prob.just get that cheaper one and come bac to getting better ones later, but my budget can stretch, But I was just shocked at the actual numbers, and even these seem reasonable. Thanks, and I promise I WILL order soon, just clearing up this point and letting you know I dont need this stuff in an instant. I have time. And Im not quite broke. yet.:)

ok, theyre not as cheap as I remember, especially the first one, but they seem to be clear about what I should buy: one of these and the impeadence cable. I hope.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._600226_Perfomer_500_Series_XLR.html#features

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...und_M_30_MasterMike_XLR_Male_to.html#features

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...nd_AQ_30_AmeriAquad_XLR_Male_to.html#features

Last edited:
well, I was planning on making my own, since it is much cheaper. I have another post in which someone gave me directions. Tell me what you think.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=15572

Also,
So this cable is right for my needs? I'm talking about the type. Its under ameriquad whatever, and it has certain designs, and this would be best for me? It looks like it, but I just want to make sure with plugging it in and recording it it will wrok good with sound and interference and all the other things when used for filmmaking. If this seems good to you, I'll go with it. If these are what will be best, I'll go with it. Any other ?s pm me. This weekend hopefully!

Back