Film Festivals? is it true?

Hi friends recently while talking to friends at Arts college where i am doing the film course i came to know there are film festivals (not the big one like SUNDANCE etc) who give money to held the festival in other countries by using their names. like just for example (only an example) I contact SUNDANCE FILM FEST MANAGEMENT to give me $xxxx and i will held a film fest by the name sundance. And i provide them a complete marketing plan. If they find it well worth they provide with funds. It is something like frenchising but the only difference will be we will be promoting the Festival and what ever we earn from it we can devide it. Is it really the case happening in the world?

Kindly guide me about this

Regards

Well certainly this was a new thing for me. We talked about this last night. and we (me and those friends who talked about it) are again meeting on Tuesday so i wil ltry to get more information about it. I thought to share this thing with mates here and they might have any idea about it.

An existing, popular film festival pays you to show movies
and you get to use their name. This sounds like something
your friends would like to have happen but not something
that has ever happened. It would be nice wouldn't it? They
have the name and all the prestige and they pay you to use
that name.

I can see this going to other way - like any franchise. For
example: the "Super Fantastic Horror Fest" becomes popular
in Los Angeles so a group wants to use that name in Austin.
They buy the rights to use that name and pay the owners a
percentage. But it seem unlikely that the owners of the "Super
Fantastic Horror Fest" would pay people to use their name.

However if we could get big name actors to do that.....

Well this was really surprising for me too.but my friend mentioned this and now i want to know more about this by him in next meeting....but he mentioned surely that those fest are average...i mean not big one like SUNDANCE etc.....

well apart from that i personally think it can be a great business plan in Pakistan because there is an advantege that suppose if any FEST ORG gives 100,000 US dollars and plans a Fest in 2 major cities of Pakistan the good thing is that the currency after conversion will be 80,00,000 PKR so a Pakistani group will have abig amount and they can realy advertise ans the marketing well of the Fest and can earn a lot which can be later shared between the FEST ORG + Local Pakistani group....because demography of the 2 biggest cities of Pakistan (that is Karachi and Lahore) show that majority of the population is of youngsters(same demography is of Pakistan too)....and majority of them love films (if they are good) and by just doing some editing of the films (because nude scenes or lip kissing etc things arent allowed in Pakistan Cencor rules) the movies can be shown here...there are atleast 1000 indie/low/no budget films coming out every year and atelast 10% of them will be good enough to attract the Pakistani audience. more over as youngsters are attracted so it means sponsors can easily be attracted specially brands like Pepsi, CocaCola , Mobile companies etc..
so if the plan made in right way can really work out..

well that was a long debate. sorry if you got bored. just had thoughts in mind which i have expressed here.

Regards

Last edited:
Back