What SD camera to buy?

Hey guys, i am wanting to buy a cheap camera to practise with until i can afford something better.

I only want to spend about $150usd
My options are.
- VHS Camera
- VHS-C Camera
- Hi8 Camera
- No Name MiniDV

What would you suggest and why, remembering that it is a video camera for me to learn on and go from there.
All tapes i can still buy here in australia,
cheers.

Hey guys, i am wanting to buy a cheap camera to practise with until i can afford something better.

I only want to spend about $150usd
My options are.
- VHS Camera
- VHS-C Camera
- Hi8 Camera
- No Name MiniDV

What would you suggest and why, remembering that it is a video camera for me to learn on and go from there.
All tapes i can still buy here in australia,
cheers.

I don't understand, do you need it right away? I have to say, if you are looking to make films, spending $150 on a camera is a wasted expense...unless you want a camera to record behind the scenes.

Even if it's just for learning...it's just not at the level you want. If you're serious about learning, a $150 camera is going to teach you the sheer basics...but you're going to be behind the 8-ball when your decide to upgrade. Why not get an actual film-worthy digital camera now, so that the learning curve isn't so high when you upgrade.

I would highly recommend, if you are serious about film making, to work hard and save for a year or so and get a camera you can be sure will produce quality images. You don't need a RED ONE...but I would at least get a camera that is HD.

You may not have a job, and you may be in debt...I don't know. Times are hard, we all feel it. But having a budget of $150 for a camera...I don't think you're ready to buy anything yet.

If you truly just want to test the waters with recording and editing...to see if it's something you want to do...then OK...get a cheap camera on eBay, tool around with iMovie or whatnot, and see whether you dig it. But don't expect to learn anything fancy with a $150 camera.

And this goes into a whole other discussion...sure there are people that have put together entertaining 'movies' with low-tech cameras...just don't expect much from a budget that low. Do you have lights? Do you have editing software?

I'm just busting balls...go out and make it happen my man!

Just my two cents. Good luck.

Last edited:
like i said when the time is right i will be getting a high quality video camera, and its only really to test some things, and location test, i am still about 3 months away from starting it all up, so out of this list would people get?

- VHS Camera
- VHS-C Camera
- Hi8 Camera

What would you suggest and why?

Last edited:
If a filmmaker with only $150 to spend on a camera spends it and
uses the camera to make movies I think that’s an excellent way to
spend money.

My suggestion is to spend what ever you can on a camera and not to
wait for a year or so. There are so many more aspects to learn
about making a movie that the image quality can wait. In my
opinion. Turning a script into a finished movie, scheduling
actors and crew, finding locations, editing, audio work - all
excellent things to learn even with an old VHS camera.

For me, I’d rather spend a year or so making movies on VHS than
waiting to save enough money to by a HD camera.

Just my two cents.

My suggestion would be to get a cheap DV camera because you can
easily transfer the footage to your computer. With the other
three options you’ll have to buy a DV/analog converter.

I’ve been fooling around with the “Flip” camera. It’s a really
nice little DV camera and it’s in your price range.

Seeing as $150 won't get you much, I wouldn't even spend that much. If you just want to practice composing shots, get something on ebay for $50. It's possible. This way you have more for the better camera you will be buying later.

You don't need a RED ONE...but I would at least get a camera that is HD.

Yeah sure, just ignore the DVX100, Canon XL series and all the other great SD cameras. :hmm: HD is not a necessity!

It annoys me somewhat when people claim you need High Definition or other expensive things for a first timer.

Let's not forget, Festen ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0154420/) was shot on one of these:

9709d.jpg

I started to experiment with short films using a crapola mini DV camera that used to chew tapes etc. Since I decided to persue it further I bought a Canon XL2. After University and a few more paid jobs, I will eventually move onto something HD with a selection of more readily available lenses.

What age are you by the way?

PS: I would advise you to get a mini DV camera. The tapes are cheap (I pay about $2 per Sony Premium tape) and you can easily transfer to your PC for editing. Using something like VHS or Hi-8 may lead to some problems when digitising it for editing, meaning more equipment may need to be bought.

Last edited:
of those you mentioned, i'd suggest going with the MiniDV camera so you can easily transfer to your computer.... or, even better... get a cheap camera that records straight to sd flash memory cards.... much easier... no worries about chewed tapes... and there are some pretty cheap ones out there now. check newegg

When I was learning, I also bought a Canon SLR stills camera from flea market and began shooting a lot of film. I found it useful for shot composition and also allows you to get used to fully manual lenses, even if you video camera does not have one.

I think for me, using a 35mm SLR with 50mm and 70mm-210mm lenses was invaluable with regards to learning how to manually work a lens and on how to compose and frame images.

It really costs nothing as well. I picked up a Canon FTb with 50mm lens for £4 and got the zoom lens for £7.

I'm 13, and saved up for half a year to a whole one last summer. I bought my Canon HF100 in 2008 at Christmas time. Saving can make a difference especially when you save up just enough money to buy that camcorder and something even better come out at Best Buy for $100 more. Then your set! Then again I am only 13, I have a Azden SGM-10X (hoping to upgrade to Rode NTG-2 early spring) and my SD card camcorder and it's brought me far with home movies and hoping to bring me farther with a short film I'm shooting in the summer with the HF100.
Hope I helped a little.:cool:
Truck on and try!

DigiRoots

Back