Faith Based film bandwagon?

Hello all,
I'd like to know if anyone is jumping on the Christian film bandwagon? Not that it's a bad thing at all, but I'm just wondering if anyone is trying to get into the new found attention given to faith based films? I think Fireproof really put the spotlight on the faith based genre. So, is anyone trying to capitalize on this rekindled industry? There have always been Christian films, but I think we see a lot of attention on these small independent films, any theories as to why they are so successful? One theory I have is that they overhype the movies. Fireproof was a good movie, but my wife and I both didn't think it was as good as all the hype made it out to be. So, I really don't want this Thread to discuss the movie Fireproof, but more about the whole christian film making industry. I'm just curious as to the opinions of others.

Last edited:
I'm a Christian, you know so I think if I put al my time and effort into building something would help people reach God then I'd be blessed dont you think? I dont know if its God or just good business or maybe it's both?

I always stay away from discussions of personal tastes in movies.
The financial success of a movie has nothing to do with how "good"
it is. I'm sure there are dozens of very successful movie you think
are bad.

Touching on the personal religious aspects of making a movie can
go bad fast. So I'll stay away from that, too.

Regardless of the "why", faith based films are making money. So
I'm jumping on the bandwagon. Even as a Christian I see the movie
business as a business - it's how I earn my living. If distributors want
horror, I make horror. If they want faith based, I make faith based.

As you point out, EvsFX, Christian movies have been around for a long
time. My dad starred in the very first production from "Unusual Films".
A company that has been making Christian films for over 50 years. It
was after the success of Gibson's film that more prodCo's and distributors
took notice. While the theatrical market isn't huge, the direct-to-DVD
market is growing. I can only guess why - people like faith based films
and will rent them. Kinda like horror, it doesn't matter how good the
movie is as long as it delivers the expected elements.

The good news for filmmakers is not every 16 to 26 years old with a
camera is jumping on the faith based band wagon. Distributors are finding
it difficult to get product.

One of the reasons why faith-based films do so well is because churches and religious groups bus their people in and rent out theaters.

A former friend of mine went to Baylor University, one of the largest Christian colleges in the world, and she mentioned to me when Passion came out how the school bused in the entire student body and rented out a couple of movie theaters so everyone could see the movie.

In any case, even as a Christian, I have no desire to get into the Jesus flicks market.

I agree Directorik, I do not wish to discuss personal tastes in movies or religion. I am not a Christian , but it doesn't mean that I won't go to see Christian movies. I'm not a vampire either, but I'll watch movies with a vampire theme, so I agree completely that these movies should be viewed as a business like any other movie. Personally, I like a good story. Just because I don't share the same views doesn't prevent me from saying, "hey that was a decent movie". I hope no one thinks I'm knocking Faith based movies or even Fireproof because I'm not, I thought it was a good movie, but maybe because my wife and I have a strong marriage, it didn't have the same impact on me as the reviews I've read. Neverthless, that's off topic, there is no right or wrong answer to my Thread, I'm simply curious to see other people's opinions on why you all think there is a renewed interest in Faith based films. For me, I'm more fascinated that this Church group was able to sell such a great film. Sure, Mel Gibson will sell out any movie, but for a small group in a small town in Georgia, that's impressive to me, and that's the direction I was trying to go with this Thread. There's another company here in Alabama that makes faith based films that are really good and have won several awards, The Erin Brothers company makes outstanding films, regardless of whether I agree with the message or not. Maybe it does simply boil down to business is business and the way these small companies market their products is better than others. I hope more people respond because I really find this topic of faith based movies interesting.

As for the bus load statement, umm, maybe, I'm not sure that's the reason Fireproof swept the country. Here's my other theory- I simply think that faith based movies are controversial by nature in their underlying messages. I mean we all know that a certain side of the political party system tries to knock religion whenever possible. What better way to promote a movie or get attention than to market it as a faith based product and cause a stir? Gibson's movie sparked a lot of controversy over its content, but movies like SAW don't? So, I'm not trying to discredit these films at all, on the contrary, I have a lot of respect and admiration for these small companies who have found a way to bring their movies to the mainstream public and make money, it's brilliant, even if they use the controversial tactic as a tool. Why not? For those of you in Hollywood is there any validity to my theory or am I way off?

Distributors have a hard time finding a product? So, evidently there is a demand for the product, I'm just wondering why all of a sudden there is a demand in these films? Again, no right or wrong reason, just wanting to see other people's views.

Last edited:
Distributors have a hard time finding a product? So, evidently there is a demand for the product, I'm just wondering why all of a sudden there is a demand in these films? Again, no right or wrong reason, just wanting to see other people's views.
I don't think this is "all of a sudden". There has been a demand for
faith based films for decades. Ever since the surprise box office of
Gibson's movie, the media outlets are mentioning these films more
- so the general awareness has gone up.

I was a writer on an anthology TV series in 1986 through 1989. It
was a "Twilight Zone" type of series with each story having a Christian
message. And I've been asked to write or direct Christian based
movies ever since. That's 20 years the demand has been there. And
as I mentioned, "Unusual Films" out of Bob Jones University has been
making faith based films constantly since 1954.

There has always been a market for them. What is all of a sudden, is
the media attention. Churches have always needed good faith based
films but in the last five or six years distributors have found families
will rent them, too. And as more are made, more people rent them
and want new titles.

I'm Christian and my grandmother has been after me for years to make a faith based movie. I think the worst thing I could do is jump into such a project without the proper research and story. Kind of like any genre, except something this specialized could come off looking bad, if not done right.

My viewing preference is horror, sci-fi, thriller, etc. But, I'm open to most subjects. The thing is, I have to like what I'm going to produce, otherwise, why do it just be a sell out? If I make a religious/spiritual movie, my heart will have to be into it. I have never made a feature for the sole purpose of making money, maybe that's why I"m poor. :D

Vampire films! There you go - put some crosses up against some demons. Horror and religion actually have a long history. Let's see, THE EXORCIST, THE OMEN, etc. I know, these aren't the subjects you guys are talking about. :lol: However, I think the right approach is to have the Gibson attitude and make something with the kind of visuals that turns heads.

Any group of people who don't have much product that targets them, craves it. It's also true of the GLBTA community and minority communities. They will even accept slightly subpar product so long as it represents their group the way they feel they should be represented.

Other more easily marketable genre include feature length documentaries (with good production value and/or phenomenal topics to compensate - both is ideal) and horror (I'm guilty here, I've paid for badly made horror in the past).

There are just markets that the audience is starved for content, those who feed that hunger can thrive relatively easily.

all business comes down to timing :) I ran the first web design firm in MN in 1990-1991... I ran out of money because the market didn't have faith that the web would be a visible medium (I wish being right would have paid off for me). The year after I had to quit and get a "real" job, 3 more firms popped up and absolutely made a killing. We had primed the pump for them.

Timing is more important to business than location :)

I hear ya, Scoopicman. My grandparents were always asking
me why I didn't use my talents to make Christian films. This
was when horror was a sure sell. They were disappointed
that I was making horror films.

My viewing preference is horror, sci-fi, thriller, etc. But, I'm open to most subjects. The thing is, I have to like what I'm going to produce, otherwise, why do it just be a sell out? If I make a religious/spiritual movie, my heart will have to be into it. I have never made a feature for the sole purpose of making money, maybe that's why I"m poor. :D
Some people call it a sell out. Some call it earning a living.

To me the bottom line is I must do something to make money.
I can't afford to not make a movie because I don’t have passion
for a subject. If I don't make a movie I must do something other
than making a movie because I need income from something.

So I make a movie.

I know that’s often seen as selling out. And for those of you who
can do something else to make a living I understand. I don’t
have that choice. I either make the movie I don’t have a particular
interest in or passion for, or I go without income until I find one
I have interest in or passion for.

I suspect that's why I'm not poor.

My passion is filmmaking. Whatever I'm working on is a great project because I'm doing with I enjoy... I'd love to make a living at this... that takes money.

Pretty much reflects my feelings. The money to do it? Read below.

Some people call it a sell out. Some call it earning a living.

To me the bottom line is I must do something to make money.
I can't afford to not make a movie because I don’t have passion
for a subject. If I don't make a movie I must do something other
than making a movie because I need income from something.

So I make a movie.

I know that’s often seen as selling out. And for those of you who
can do something else to make a living I understand. I don’t
have that choice. I either make the movie I don’t have a particular
interest in or passion for, or I go without income until I find one
I have interest in or passion for.

I suspect that's why I'm not poor.

Rik, I probably didn't spell myself out as much as I should. I agree with most of that, but I'm not talking about shooting for American Idol or "gigs for hire". (I used to be in I.A.T.S.E. and I've done plenty of soundman, camera, switcher, composer for hire, on stuff I wasn't into.) Those are jobs where you have no control over the material, so they are not what I'm referring to.

I'm talking about what you write and produce - putting your own money into movies, like DARK CRIMES. So, let me rephrase: My income is good, but If I didn't spend over $300,000 on equipment and indie films that I produced/directed, then I could have paid off the house, long ago. I make movies for the sheer love of it. As it is, my wife doesn't need to work. She watches over our 3 kids at home. On top of my being the sole income, we're producing movies our way.

If someone tells me to spice up my movie with certain exploitive elements, I tell them to forget it, because I would rather let my content speak and not drag. If I took shortcuts, I could have more sales, but I'm a purist with movies. Still, what does sell is rewarding. Four of my features either have had international distribution of are in negotiations. I may be taking a longer road, but I'm on the creative end of my projects, which is fulfilling.

Another thing I really enjoy is composing, but scoring commercials, industrials and some very boring films was just bumming me out and taking me out of the kind of music that I liked to do. I was constantly criticized for making it "too dark", but I like eerie and atmospheric. I quit! Best thing I ever did. Now, I score only my own movies and love it.

This is just me, but I would rather take a non-industry job and not really like it, rather than grow tired of what I love. One of my buddies said that he couldn't imagine editing/producing projects all year, then take his vacation and make a feature. When I take that vacation, I'm ready to film.

BTW, I'm not knocking your gigs, as it sounds like you are involved with some sweet stuff, in the heart of the business. It all depends on what your goal is.

I'd love to get to the point where I could do what you do Scoopic! Not there yet, so I'm working for a commercialized gig that can get me the recognition or the change to do what you've found :)

BTW, I'm not knocking your gigs, as it sounds like you are involved with some sweet stuff, in the heart of the business. It all depends on what your goal is.
I didn't think you were.

I agree; it all depends on your goal. My goal is make my living
making movies. If I am offered a writing job in a genre or subject
I have no interest in or passion for I take the job. Same with
producing or directing.

If I'm asked to spice up my movie with certain exploitive elements
(and I'm asked this often) I do it.

That seems to be the definition of "selling out". Something I do
all the time. And I do it because I can't take a non-industry job.
I've never had a non-industry job in my life.

In a way I envy you - being able to stand on your creative principles
and be a purist. I can't afford that. I tried it one time - with "dark
crimes" (and even then I added an exploitive element to help sales) .
But even though I've won several awards and people seem to like it,
I can't get that movie sold.

So now I'm being offered faith based projects. Since my goal is to earn
a living making movies I will take the offers.

As you said; tt depends on what your goal is.

Knightly, good luck with what you are doing!

Hi, Rik! Some interesting points and they still apply to the thread topic. The important thing is if someone asks you to alter or work on certain projects, that it doesn't bother you. I'm admittedly anal, so I will continue on my path. :lol:

In a way I envy you - being able to stand on your creative principles
and be a purist. I can't afford that. I tried it one time - with "dark
crimes" (and even then I added an exploitive element to help sales) .
But even though I've won several awards and people seem to like it,
I can't get that movie sold......As you said; tt depends on what your goal is.

DARK CRIMES looks very stylistic and well done. I enjoy a good noir flick. If there is a way I can buy it, let me know. Perhaps I can trade you a copy of EXILE for it? Selling a first feature is hard. Most people don't, which is the harsh reality.

It sounds like some of your jobs, like being hired to write, offer you some creative stretching. If they touch on what you enjoy, at least once in a while, that is also rewarding. My problem was the burn out was turning me away from making movies and I was just doing work.

I've read and enjoyed a number of your posts and I think you have a great attitude and obviously know your craft.

This is a subject that has been brought up here before, I wonder where that thread went?

Anyway, I don't think people are jumping on the Christian film bandwagon and I don't think that there is 'new found attention' given to faith based films. People will go see a GOOD MOVIE and they won't care where the motivation comes from. I loved "Kundun". I'm not a Tibetan monk :)

About "The Passion": maybe the entire student body went to see it, but then EVERYBODY was trying to see it, not just Christians.

I personally think that the stories are getting better. When I first read "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe", I was a kid and I had no idea that there was some agenda to be had. The story, to me, was a good one so I read it. I think that is what most people do. "The DaVinci Code" was a big deal because the book was a good read and ended up with a director who turned it into a good movie (I haven't seen it, but you get my point)

I don't believe that any particular political party system tries to knock religion, its just that the opposing side to which ever political system you adhere to, doesn't like the other sides approach.

A movie like Saw won't spark that kind of controversy because it is wrapped in a yummy horror coating. :D The point isn't lost, people just get to it differently.

When it comes to faith based subject matter, this is what you need:

1. A really good story (the ten commandments, the exorcist, the daVinci code, the stand-bet you forgot that one)
2. a director who can see the big picture (Lucas, Jackson, Spielberg, Raimi)
3. the money to push it (promotion, distribution, etc)

Without that the film will fall flat, and its not going to matter if the agenda is Christian or Aliens....:abduct:
(I always wanted to use that smilie!)

-- spinner :cool:

1. A really good story (the ten commandments, the exorcist, the daVinci code, the stand-bet you forgot that one)
2. a director who can see the big picture (Lucas, Jackson, Spielberg, Raimi)
3. the money to push it (promotion, distribution, etc)

I agree with #1 - if the content strikes a chord with a church or group, they will push it. The whole point about the Kirk Cameron movie is that it didn't need to be a big budget flick to make millions in returns.

Here you go.

"Fireproof" cost $500,000 to make but grossed $33.4 million. And those figures don't even include DVD sales.

Some in the movie industry are still trying to figure out how they did it.

Before you excuse it as a BLAIR WITCH type of fluke, the same guys' previous movie was made for 100K and made 10 million!

Many articles on it. HERE is one. Basically, faith based indie is an under-tapped resource.

Last edited:
I won't excuse it as a Blair Witch fluke because it didn't do anywhere NEAR what Blair Witch did.

Until you said Kirk Cameron, I didn't even remember that I actually saw this film, which tells you how much of an impact it had on me and quite possibly the film going community at large. I suppose somone liked it if it made 10 million, but in the days of the big huge block-buster type film like LOTR or Harry Potter, you must think bigger. Someone would have to talk pretty fast to convince me that this film stands up next to the big boys. And the sad part is that the story is there.

Someone has to go to Sony Imageworks or Industrial Light & Magic and bring that story alive or else it won't really go any further than the Christian community. And it won't be because people are opposed to Christian based films, it will be because it doesn't stand up next to Spiderman even though it has the potential to do so...if you follow the book.

As much as I would like to just look at things from the 'artiste' viewpoint, people vote with their dollars. 10 million is great for an independent film. But much did The Blair Witch Project make? Get my point?

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
Back