Union or non-union

What are the advantages of unionizing a feature film project? Do I have to get the union involvement if my budget for a film is $100K or $150million? Did the "Blair Witch Project" have union involvement?

What are the advantages of unionizing a feature film project? Do I have to get the union involvement if my budget for a film is $100K or $150million? Did the "Blair Witch Project" have union involvement?

"Blair Witch" was not a union show.

The advantages are a group of skilled people who will show up
on time and do their job well. But you don't have to use any
of the unions on any film regardless of the budget.

That's an oversimplification so when you are ready to shoot
a 150 million dollar movie you should ask again. But for
now, you'll be fine shooting with non union people.

Unless you have a decent budget, I'd stay far away from the union. Hiring SAG actors or crew is nightmare fuel. You have to read a book the size of Websters, fill out a ton of paperwork, and call the SAG offices over and over until they actual care about your indie film (which they never will). SAG hates indies...it's true.

We've used SAG a few times when we've had backing and distribution, but the headaches are so fierce, we won't ever do it again. You seriously have to harass them to get them to even return your calls.

If you don't have a guy handling only the paperwork and union contact...stay far away. If you have a budget, and a guy hired to solely handle that end of the film...go for it.

Also know you will be paying out of your ass if you start hiring multiple SAG actors and crew. Then you also have to really start paying attention to the clock...because if you shoot over their lunch time at all...bam! Penalized! If your ducks aren't in a row, you'll be spending a lot of money on shit you didn't plan. Take also into consideration housing...SAG actors want to be put up in nice hotels...more money.

The good thing about SAG is you'll get folks who are ready to work, experienced, and for the most part professional. But it doesn't guarantee all of the above. Our crew is all non-union, but ever single one of us is professional, passionate and team oriented. Eight features in 5 years ain't bad for a non-union bunch.

Last edited:
Back