• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Hiring a Soundperson (what to know)

Things to ask when looking to hire a sound person

The first thing you want to do is go over your script. Look for scenes that might be difficult, scenes that might have people watching a TV and talking over it, scenes maybe with people talking in a car and maybe listening to music and then singing along with it. Look at all your EXT scenes and see how many are talking. Look at what may be a difficult scene sound wise...at a beach, any scene where there is water moving, shower, sink. or where actors are not weaning much clothes or women dressed in difficult clothes or big jewelry...i had to deal with a neck lass for an entire movie once that made so much noise i could never wire they actress because she wouldnt let us double stick it.

So, now that you have gone over you script. Here is where I think you should begin:

1. Budget...look carefully over your budget and keep in mind most mixers mix and have a boom operator. and many will not work without a 3rd as well. Buy in Low Budget 2 person crew is normal. If you don t have the budget for that, you will have to get someone that will mix over-the-shoulder and boom at the same time. Problem here is that he cant mix at same time and if there is a level problem, the take can be lost. or multiple wires can be a problem here too. And this person might not have the tracks to split things out to.

2. Just talk to the person..get a feel for them...is this someone i want to speed the next few weeks with. will be have fun and not be negative. (when i am in a tight spot and there are location problem and maybe a tough wire situation, i just say "ok, these are my problems, and if there is nothing we can do fast about it, lets just do the best we can, and maybe think a little more about coverage so to get some good sound here")

3. OK...you like this person and feel you will work good together. now is time to figure out if they have the equipment to do your film. More than likely they have sent you a list and you can see from there. But if not. you have your list ready for them. Basics only...how many people in you EXT scene, they should have enough wireless to cover this. Are there scenes with people talking over music that actors need to hear....they should have a playback source and earwigs for this (many don t and this will have to be rented separate..so keep in mind for you budget). Do they have a full mic package for your film. EXT shotguns INT hypers and cadiods...plant mics for cars and such. Boompoles (more than one) TC Slates (two if shooting multi camera). Do they have Comteks so you can here what they are doing... also ask if they have sound blankets, shoe foam, things of that nature. You don t want to get on set and need something and have they say, "oh, i thought you had that" And Sound Reports

4, What media will they be recording onto and what backup will you have if something goes wrong. You will also have to decide on what Time code you will be using and make sure he understands this and can produce the correct code for you film and camera, editing system, and what the film will end up on. Usually post will decide this, but if you don t have post signed up when shooting...you should call a post house and ask when is the best code for what you are doing and make sure the sound person understands this.

5. Expendables...what will this person need from you. Media to record on. Batteries.TapeRolls. ShoeFoam or whatever else they might need. (those are the basics i always ask for)

OK so that is pretty basic I think to go by. I more than likely left something out....So please ask if there is

Hope this helps a little and will work on basics of Timecode for you as well.

Great post! In my opinion my sound person is the key to success on any production no matter what budget size. Many indie filmmakers try to capture sound on the own or with on camera mics. This is one position I pay well for on ALL my shows. It pays me back by allowing me to make an easier sale since my audio is clean and well captured!

Back