Sony HDR-FX7

I am planning to buy a camera in order to start filming a documentary (mostly interview-based), and like most people on here I am trying to figure out which one to get. I can also pick up some extra work for a local company that needs a second person to film their live seminars and workshops, and they already have a Sony HDR-FX7. I am just wondering if I need to be concerned with compatibility when selecting my own camera, since they will be merging the footage to produce DVDs for sale. I could afford an FX7 (I can spend up to $3000 or so.), but I had mostly been looking at Canon and JVC. Would it be better to get a Sony, does anyone recommend another camera that would be compatible, or should I not even worry about it? The other business owners are friends, so I'm not likely to be fired, but I would like their DVDs to look as good as possible. Thanks!

Go for the Canon XH-A1s because it has XLR inputs which will give you good sound posibilites with external mics. I had the Sony V1E (= V1U in USA) which is the pro version of the FX7 and the Canon XH-A1. The Canon is definatley better bang for the bucks - less problems with MPG2 blocking artifacts, better low light capabilities. But you have to search the web for some presets to get the most out of the Canon. The Sony is nice out of the box, but for me it is a sunshine only camera.

Back