• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Audio Post - £15K feature

Hi all,
new to the forum so please bear with.

I'm looking for ideas on how to tackle the audio post production on our feature as we're out of budget and out of freeby favours from post houses.

We need audio post on our feature and obviously would like a pro facility to do it. Even more obvious is how difficult that kind of favour is to come by. We have several experienced friends with home studios that do audio work on work destined for the small screen and web but i want to know (before approaching them) how successful a sound mix can be in a modest home studio.

Is it worth approaching them to invest several weeks into doing the work only to find out that it all falls over on the big screen?
Feel free to check out the website - http://www.othersideofthegame.com and let us know what your thoughts as we've managed to finish everything else off to a pretty high standard. It would be a shame have weak audio.

Thanks

Wow! Really nice work. It would be a shame for the audio not to live up to the video as you stated. Its hard to really know what you're up against without hearing all the sound clips and really knowing what you need in post. Was all the location sound really clean? Do you need ADR for some of the scenes? That would be my first concern. Maybe you can find someone willing to freelance the sound job for you, for low or no pay, and credits. Do you have distribution set up yet? Maybe promise of a delayed payment to someone perhaps would work.

The acting seems to be done very well. How and who did you cast for your budget? I am very interested to hear your story.

What did you shoot with? My only critique on the trailer is the opening scene around the table. I don't think you need it. It is too sedate for the rest of the trailer and was like walking in on the middle of a slow drama. In all honesty when I first saw the opening, my first thought was ok another try at an indie... than the rest of the trailer played and kicked some butt. The action wanted me to know more. First impressions are the lasting ones. But this is just my opinion. Anyway great work, i enjoyed it and would pay to watch your movie. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Thanks mate, we appreciate your kind words.

You are right in that the sound is a difficult thing to judge on a forum so i'll just have to keep trying to make leads and get the right people involved. The good thing is that almost all the production sound was very well recorded.

As for the trailer, i hear what you are saying....but it is exactly that turn around from the mundane life to the character's life being on the line which we want to show. It reflects the film too in that the first act is very slow burning and does seem like a drama, but then all hell breaks loose! ;)

Back