Can someone explain FPS

Hey guys.
I am looking at super8 cameras and wanting to know what the different fps mean.
I know 18 was a standard super8 fps speed and 24 was for film, but what i have seen super 8 camera specs that have 2, 4, 8, 18, 24, 25, 36, 50, 70, 80.

Also if they do get explained could someone mention if they are still used in any films etc.
thanks.

I'm sure there are people that still shoot in super-8, but I imagine they are more art-house productions. Usually, the only time a standard production will use super-8 is if the scene requires a distinct separation of time-line (ie. flashback, visions, ect), or if the scene calls for a television broadcast, a found film the characters watch, anything that is either not part of the current time-line, or practical footage the characters interact with.

Does that make sense?

Basically, people will use super-8 as a gimmick or a trick to create an obvious separation.

As far as frames per second (FPS), I’m not sure which setting will work best for your purposes. I would say you could experiment, and see what works for you and your production.

FPS stands for Frames Per Second. It's a measure of how many individual static pictures are shot/displayed in a timespan of one second. 18 is the standard for super 8, 24 is the standard that is used for most film... for playback. If you capture at the same frame rate as playback, one second in real life will take one second on screen.

If you "Over crank" or shoot a higher frame rate, then you have more discreet pictures in that same second of playback (still at 18 or 24) and they end up stretching out time when played back at a rate of 24 in one second, so shooting 48 fps would stretch the one second of real time out to 2 seconds resulting in a 50% slow down of the footage.

Under cranking does the opposite by making the subject look fast and jerky. shooting 12 fps would require 2 real world seconds to fill a 24fps playback.

18 is super 8, 24 is most film, 30 is video...

video on tv sets is displayed in interlaced fields due to technical hurdles when they were first being made. 2 fields makes up a single frame, so 30 fps (or 30p - p for progressive) is displayed on television sets at 60 fields per second (or 60i - alternating sets of even and odd horizontal lines in each field).

clear as mud?

Hey guys.
I am looking at super8 cameras and wanting to know what the different fps mean.
I know 18 was a standard super8 fps speed and 24 was for film, but what i have seen super 8 camera specs that have 2, 4, 8, 18, 24, 25, 36, 50, 70, 80.

Also if they do get explained could someone mention if they are still used in any films etc.
thanks.
1 - single-frame (animation)
2, 4, 8 - undercranked (fast-motion)
18 - super-8 silent
24 - super-8 sound, or for slightly better image over 18.
25 - super-8 sound (where PAL is used)
36, 50, 70, 80 - overcranked (slow-motion)

Back