Too Confused! So many cameras!

I am getting thouroughly confused on the whole camera thing...What I THINK I want right now is the following:

Changable lenses.
Easy to edit (mini tape format or what?)
HD capability
Timecode.
Shoulder mount (realizing this may probably be purchased separate)
Price up to 3500usd.

Does anyone own a camera like this? What are the pro's and cons?
What is so special about a Red Scarlet (someone posted one time they wanted the new red)

Thanks in advance. Whatever camera you own can you tell me what you LOVE and HATE about it??

I
What is so special about a Red Scarlet (someone posted one time they wanted the new red)

Thanks in advance. Whatever camera you own can you tell me what you LOVE and HATE about it??

The Scarlet, which is not available yet, will be similar to RED ONE in terms of cost/quality.

RED ONE is a high end digital cinema camera, Scarlet will be more affordable to independent filmmakers.

Remember though...the Scarlet is pretty tiny. It may be awkward to move and control. Most DP's like to have some weight and size behind their camera.

If you can afford it, I say go RED ONE. If you can't afford that, just make sure you're getting some kind of 2k quality HD cam.

It's compactness can be a pro rather than a con though. It depends on your preference and how you like to film. Obviously having one hand freer can be an advantage.

You should be able to have one hand free with any digital camera--unless you are zooming or focusing as you track or pan. And of course I gather this is a handheld shot you're talking about? If the camera is on sticks, you may be able to have two hands free if there is no tracking, zooming, or focusing.

No matter what the size of the digital camera, it's not going to take any more hands than a smaller digital camera.

If you are shooting in a really tight space, the Scarlet might be perfect. Other than that, I don't see the advantage (other than price).

Check out the JVC GY-HD110U. I just bought one from B&H Photo/Video for $3000. They were close to $6000 when introduced a few years a go. Has everything you are looking for. You can't get any better than this for the money. So far I love the camera. A lot of networks use this camera, Fox, ESPN to mention a few.

Back