Filming the road from a car...

Just curious if anyone knows this: If you are filming from a vehical from town to town or city to city (such as Boston or New York) do you need permission for that?

I realize I would need permission to film in a town - public place such as a park or something but what about filming from a vehical?

I don't believe so...if you're talking about what I think you're talking about.

Though my only logic for thinking this is that people shoot home movies out of their car all the time with cell phones and camera and such, and to the best of my knowledge, you don't need a permit for that.

I could be wrong, since that's obviously for private use, and you're obviously talking about a public thing.

Permission? No. You have a right to photograph in places where an expectation of privacy is not evident. What you want to try to eliminate are recognizable trademarks where possible.

Permission? No. You have a right to photograph in places where an expectation of privacy is not evident. What you want to try to eliminate are recognizable trademarks where possible.

Recognizable trademarks such as the Empire State building and GW? It seems each time I think of things I can film for this trial project - I am left wondering what the legalities of it is...something I never had to think of before.
Part of my plan is to have a camera on the dash. So having the highway in the film would be okay - green state signs...I will make sure nothing such as McDonalds next exit isn't on film...

Back