Possible problems with my 814

I got my Canon 814 today, and it may not work. I just need to know if I'm doing something wrong. The thing is in great physical condition. I put brand new batteries in, but when I pull the trigger, nothing happens. Same with the zoom buttons. I can't hear any motors running. This is my first super 8, so I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong. Any help with be appreciated. If it is actually broken, it's no big deal, I got it for $70, and I'm sure I can get quite a bit more than that if I sell it.

Well the zoom motor is separate from the cartridge motor, so I would assume it is not getting power. Are the leads corroded?

Oh, I just found an old corroded battery in the case, and I'm thinking it may have been in the camera. I can't see any obvious corrosion in the handle though. If it were corroded, what would I do?

Try a vinegar and salt mixture, but only clean the chamber. Also try some fine grit sandpaper, and wet sand it with the mixture. Let it dry overnight.

You didn't mention turning the power-switch on.
smiley_haw.gif

I'm sure you did, but worth mentioning before you start tearing it into little pieces... just in case.

"On" is marked as an "R" on the off/on/lock switch.

At any rate, just sayin' just in case.

________

Also, on the bottom of the camera you'll two small buttons. 1 is red, the other is white. These activate the battery level-meter, on the side of the camera.

The red one will show the power available from the AA batteries. (The white one shows the power of the other teeny battery used for the built-in light meter)

If you have good batteries, and the red button doesn't move the needle on the power meter, that might help you eliminate some connections to check. If it does move, then that should give a few hints on what else to check.

Good luck fixing it. :)

Yeah, it's on.

I have pushed the red button next to the window for battery check, but it doesn't move. There isn't a white button though. This is the 814 Electronic Zoom camera, not the other one (not sure what it's called)

Not sure how to get the thing apart. There are a few small screws on the outside body, but they don't do anything.

Sounds like you should chalk this up to buyer beware and start shopping again. Ask for a refund. He said it ran, right?

Oh. I have the 814 AZ. I guess it's a bit different.

Wish I could be of more help. My mechanical skills are limited to changing lightbulb level.

Haha, no problem.

But no, the guy didn't say it ran, he just said that it made a humming sound when the zoom buttons were pressed. He sold it as-is.

Back