• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

i have 5 1/2 hours of film.

from my trip to india last month. i have interviews, life and plenty of kid shots. but i just need help getting started i don't know how to begin it, and if you recommend narration. im a young filmaker and despartly need help. im in the editting stage and need inspiration!
please help me!

That is always the fun part getting started! You now have all this footage to start pouring over. This is the approach I would take. I've done the following myself for some run and gun travel projects.

1. What was the reason that you shot all the footage in the first place? A documentary? Vacation footage? You must first decide on what information you wish to give the viewer, or what story you want to tell. You know the subject matter that you shot very well. Is it dramatic? Lighthearted? Historic? You need to define the theme and message you want to convey to the viewer in the final product. Do you have all the footage you need to support the storyline? It sounds like you are building a story around the footage.

2. View and catalog all the footage by subject matter with easy to remember file names and put them in folders. This way you can easily find what you want, when you need it.

3. After viewing your footage, did it give you any further ideas for a storyline? Now write a rough block diagram as a beginning outline for your storyline. Use the blocks as a guide and treat each block like a project or sequence in editing. Like "Interview with the kids", "Interesting city buildings", "The art festival" etc etc. Mark what has original dialogue and what may need some voice over work. VO can always be tailored to what the visuals are after editing.

4. Get creative!

This will at least help to get you started.

Ciao,
Tommy

thanks! this will help me quite a lot, im trying to stay away from a travelogue and make it a light-hearted lesson intermixed in a spiritual journey..i will have to see where it goes!

If you want to do narration, the best thing to do is write out the script, and provide that to your narrator. If you need a narrator, there are plenty of people who would be willing and able to help you with that I'm sure..

Honestly, it sounds like you need a good editor to work with. You'll still call the shots, but a good editor can put a nice rough cut together for you, which would be a good starting point.

Back