• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Notes on Editing (briefly)

Editing can either the most frustrating or the easiest process to a film, depending on how competently the film was shot.

Either way editing is where you movie comes to life. And it is the most creative part of the film finishing process. There are lots of ways to edit a film and you need to be sure you have entrusted your work to a thematically competent editor who understands mood, tension, pacing and scene punctuation.

Most importantly, find an editor who thinks and feels like you do, who understands and can improve upon your scenes with appropriate contractions of dialog, beat-oriented cuts, intelligent transitions.

Editing is hard and remains one of the hardest disciplines of any film.

Like all aspects of filmmaking, you will spend the rest of your life getting better at it.

Cut and re-cut but know when to let it go.

David Jetre
Writer | Producer | Director

On that note...what about editing the film yourself? I am just learning film and using myself as a subject as part of my learning process. Currently I am researching a decent camera and find many online and having read some of the threads on this site I am afraid to make the wrong choice in a camera.

What I want is all the bells and whistles of course....overall I plan to edit this project myself via my laptop when the time comes which probably wont be until the end of this year anyway.

What is the easiest and most cost effective type of film to edit? I am reading here that hd film is costly to edit. Is there a camera where I can easily download what I filmed onto the computor. Buy software and break up each filmed peice into say 30 sec incriments and edit from that? Then I want to dub sound in , in some areas such as music and voice over and background sound (footsteps /doors slamming ect).

It sounds a lot to me overall just typing what I want...However I don't have the funds to pay someone but more truthful is that I want to have complete control over this project.

Thanks.

Editing

I am not sure I understand the question. With digital video there is no film, only digital tapes which you would transfer from the video camera to the software.

I started with Adobe Premier and that seems to have worked pretty well. The Adobe C4 Creative Suite is pretty amazing for Hi-Def video importing and editing.

Also, if you go to www.lynda.com you can buy an online member to their entire catalog for like $25/month. Lynda.com has almost every software title you can think on as well live streaming video tutorials.

It is the fastest way to ramp up on the software side.

More to come...

Well, I'm definitely going to hold on to that link, man.

Thanks.

Editing is still one of the aspects of filmmaking that makes me the most apprehensive. The amount of information and instinct (which I suppose comes with practice) seems quite overwhelming at times.

Back