What camera do you use?

I have decided that my mini dvd camera wont do overall. I want a camera that will be more for filming and less for family events. Overall I am looking for something that will be easy to edit/dub sound and overall create a great picture. Something I can add a lens to (much like a still camera) Then I will need to get a mic for it.

So to start I wanted to ask what you all use and why you like it and where you bought it. Something that concerns me is buying something quite expensive on the internet and having read this forum on camera's I have found that there are some less than honorable dealers out there.

I need to start researching so any info you can share.

I have an HV20. Very small camera, fantastic picture. I bought it from a shop in Florida using a discount offered to members of a forum centered around that camera. Not sure if they still offer the discount or not, but it was a good price, and shipped quickly.

It's a bit small, and some people are deterred by the size and lack of buttons & knobs for manual control over everything, but when you learn how to make it do what you want, the results are nothing less than stunning. :)

My next camera will be a RED Scarlet.

I don't own any video cameras. I either borrow or rent what I think I need, or what is suggested by the camera-guy.

Well, I do have a crappy Digital-8, but that's for goofing about with.

Me too. I don't get caught up in the tech madness, I go with a DP with a camera or rent.

I have an HV20. Very small camera, fantastic picture. I bought it from a shop in Florida using a discount offered to members of a forum centered around that camera. Not sure if they still offer the discount or not, but it was a good price, and shipped quickly.

It's a bit small, and some people are deterred by the size and lack of buttons & knobs for manual control over everything, but when you learn how to make it do what you want, the results are nothing less than stunning. :)

My next camera will be a RED Scarlet.

Do you have film sample I could look at via Youtube?

What is special about the RED Scarlet?

So I want to invest in a high-tech camcorder... I'm obviously looking for something HD because SD seems to be the way of the past and I just can't justify investing in old tech. I've looked at Canon's XL2, however, it's SD, though it looks like a pretty snazzy camera and good for Indie filmmaking.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced HD camcorder that has a lot of bells an whistles? Preferably with native ability to shoot 16:9 (though I think this is mostly standard nowadays), and with the ability do shoot in the cinematic 24p (or if this is inaccurate, whatever the fps is for the look of 32mm film stock)... I'm willing to spend between 5 and 6 g's at MOST... let me know what you think!

I'm still driving my Canon XL1s... and I know it like the back of my hand!

This is a great little camera. Ive had one for about 8 months, and have been bumming XL2's for the past 3 years. Their great for pick up and go shooting, though I cant say being unable to preview in 16:9 is very pleasing. But, thats what a field monitor is for. Because their so cheap now, and because they offer such a great manual interface, their wonderful for learning both video cinematography on the spot as well as on-board editing in the field.

Now, though Ive spoken quite fondly of this camera, I admit that I am looking elsewhere. The xl1s is great, but you always are looking for just that extra edge of quality, and though the XL1s shoots in 16:9, it doesn't go 1080p. Anyone have a recommendation for a both inexpensive and well built HD?

Woodruff

...and with these mini tapes - you would hook the camera up to the laptop and easily download the footage? From there it would be easy to edit using any editing system?

What are the downsides to this camera?

Okay there is this documentary film on PBS currently airing titled A Ride To Remember. It is a story of a ride through America...well that is sort of the idea I am on for this documentary trial on myself. Filming different aspects of what I do (which entails travel)...editing it later, adding music, sound effects bla bla bla later.
The film A Ride To Remember is about a family traveling and laughing together and it comes across as unscripted and real.
Overall - I am not sold on hd cameras only because at the end of the day some of the best movies were filmed in b&w long before color and hd...so its not a must. What is important to me is something with interchangable lenses, easy to download - no issues with editing later on or adding sound (if that part of it has anything to do with the camera - I want something easy).

What is important to me is something with interchangable lenses, easy to download - no issues with editing later on or adding sound (if that part of it has anything to do with the camera - I want something easy).
All DV cameras are easy to download to your computer. All of them.
If you record to tape it's easy, if you record to a HDD it's easy, if you
record to a media card it's easy.

Only two manufacturers offer interchangeable lenses. Canon and JVC.

Just my two cents...if you're going to purchase a camera any time soon...make sure it's at least HD.

Canon XL1s are fine and dandy, and I've worked on a few pictures that used it, but it totally looks like video...like home video...well, not THAT bad, but close.

HD is a huge step up from SD. Don't make the mistake of not going HD.

The camera we use is nice...but I can't remember the name of it. It's not brand new, but it's quality HD.

I would LOVE to get my hands on a RED with a few adapters and lenses.

Panasonic rules!

I use a AGDVX100BE, a miniDV SD camera with 25p mode and cinelook, and also use a canon HV20 a very interesting and cheap HDV model, that shot in 1920x1080 interlaced and progressive 25p, included HDMI output, Mic in and headphones out. The only drawback: is not ergonomic.
17-01.jpg

canon.68205848_std.jpg

And top of equipment XD
CanonHV20.jpg

Back