• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Still need some help

Hey Guys, sorry to post again but I'm having a difficult time trying to find info on what kind of lenses I need. I have a 35mm adapter for my canon XL-2, but I can't seem to find a place to buy lenses for it. When I search online I keep finding still camera lenses. I am assuming this is NOT what I want. Is there a website that sells lenses for video cameras? Are there specific types of lenses I will need when shooting with an adapter? I have a Nikkon mount that came with the adapter, but I would assume I can purchase other brand of camera mounts for the adapter if Nikkon lenses are too expensive. Any advice or input would be great. Thanks

Mitchel

I have an Canon Xl2 and I have found almost everything I need on Amazon. I don't always buy it there; sometimes I find it cheaper elsewhere. But it's definitely a good place to start looking...

Thanks for the reply. I have searched online stores but I guess I don't know enough about what kind of lens I need. I usually end up find a dozen still Photo lenses but nothing for film. I'll keep searching.

Thanks guys for the reply, I don't need the adapter, I'm looking for info on what type of lenses can and should be used with a 35mm adapter. I just would like to know what brands, and types of lenses people are using with these adapters. It looks as though cinema primes are very expensive so I would assume people shooting footage on Youtube and Vimeo are shooting with still photo lenses, since most of the vids are of homemade 35mm adapters. Any insight or experience you guys have come accross? What are the different characteristics of still photo lenses Vs Cinema lenses. Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks again.

Take this with a grain of salt, and await feedback from someone who USES an XL2 ... but it was my "understanding" that one advantage to the Canon is that it uses Canon STILL CAMERA lens too.

Again, I'm sure someone with actual experience will help you soon ... but i had heard and thought the still camera lens fits on an XL2 (which has a killer lens already, doesn't it? Can I ask what's the drawback with shooting with what came with the camera? I'd killllll to have an XL2 sitting around!)

Well, not you, per se, since I don't even know where you live, or if the lock on your back door still only seems to lock but pops open if someone hits it just right, but ... :hmm:

Seriously though ... are you certain you CAN'T use any Canon lens?

When I search online I keep finding still camera lenses. I am assuming this is NOT what I want.

I'll mention one thing to remember using ANY adapter: careful at the widest angle ... sometimes you'll see the edge of something you didn't expect to be there, the edge of the frame etc ... So check you're okay there.

Hello,

Guys, hes not asking what adapter goes with XL cameras... he already has an XL adapter. he is asking, "Now that I have the adapter, what lenses do I use in order to get my Shallow depth of field?" and "Are there video lenses?"

To answers both of your questions.

1. When you get an adapter for your camera, you can attach STILL CAMERA lenses to it. For example, say I have a Nikon Camera to take pictures of my family. I also have a 35mm and 50mm lense for my Nikon Camera. Well, as far as I know, if you have a Nikon adapter for your XL Camera, I can just take my 35mm or 50mm Nikon Lense that I use for my Camera and screw it onto my XL2 Adapter with Nikon mount. Try getting a Nikon lense from your camera, and attaching it to your adapter/nikon mount on your XL2. Then you focus just like a camera... and you should get your shallow depth of field.

2. As for, Are there video lenses. yes there are, there are lenses for wide shots, fish eye, ect. You buy those seperatley for your XL2, they dont hook up to your adapter, you replace the big ass lense you have on your XL2 with them. They are interchangeable lenses.

Any more questions, I will be more than happy to assist you. If you dont understand, I will be more than happy to help you. I know how it feels, when you get frustrated and cant find an answer.

Last edited:
Thanks again guys for the speedy answers. MelonDome You nailed my question! Thank you. I was looking into still photo lenses but wanted a to be sure I could use them before buying any. I have a friend who owns a few Nikon lenses so I will be testing them out very soon. Thanks again everyone. I will be testing out the adapter with a few lenses in the next week or so, so if I come across any more questions I will be sure to shoot you a message MelonDome. Thanks!

Back