• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help With Lighting Properly

Hey!
I am 16, new to filming but wish to be in the film industry in the future, so i am not and expert.

Just wanted some good advice on how to get the best lighting i can out of the lighting i have and if i am doing something wrong!

Firstly this is what i am using.

150 Watt Halogen floodlight attached to an old camera tripod.
I have two of these but one is not on a tripod
picture4yy8.png

60Watt with a aluminum reflector
picture5lf0.png

The camera i am using is a panasonic HDC-SD9 HD camcorder.
picture7tf4.png

I had really bad grainy footage, had a report back from engineer saying that he has re-aligned the software and to just use a lot of lighting.. the outcome so far has been great!

i have just used one of the 150 Watt in a test shoot pointing it upwards towards the ceiling. 1. so i don't go blind! 2. i get a nice even light around the room.

Is there certain ways to light rooms properly? can anyone direct me somewhere or tell me the basics? am i using the right lighting? (can't really afford anything professional)

I have two different angles and the colouring looks a lot different, i tried to do some colour correction in final cut and it improved a little but its not perfect.

I would say the first one looks more cinematic then the second...

picture8mr7.png

picture9ne1.png

Thanks

Well, 150W+60W is not very much. I mostly use at least 3x500W for a good 3-point lighting setup. That way the camera has enough light to work with and your images don't get grainy.
I think I paid about 60$ for the three lights and they even came with a tripod for each of them.

I would lower the amount of the light on the background a bit (aesthetic preference on my part) to draw the eye to the subject more. You can do that by putting a flag (piece of black foam core taped/clamped to a stand) in place to cut the light hitting the background.

My suggestion would be to add a few more pieces.

Get another “scoop” light. Get the ones with the clamp - makes it
easier to place it than the one you’re using.

Get a paper lantern - excellent for adding a soft light to the
face or filling in the background.

As knightly mentioned, some blackwrap (a sturdy aluminum foil
that’s black) can be used to break up the light. Casting shadows
on the background makes the subject stand out. So does a light
behind the subject.

Pull the buy away from the wall a bit and point a light on the
back of his head - you’ll be amazed how something so minor
changes the look.

your camera won't capture light as well as pro cameras.
So to compensate get a lot more lighting in the shot.
You've got to make the darks and lights more obvious (basically contrasts).
So get your backlight as Directorik said.
Other than that it looks nice!

Back