Sony High-Definition Mini-DV Camcorder (HDR-HC9) vs Canon VIXIA HV30

I am looking at getting a camcorder that will allow me to shoot shorts as well as an indie. I was told the Canon HV30 is an excellent cam. But I am a Sony guy (just like the brand). So wanted to know what cam I should purchase. I will use Final Cut to edit and would like to add soundtrack, voice overs, graphics, etc. to the films I shoot. So any information/advice anyone can provide regarding which one of the two cameras I should purchase would be helpful.

Thank you.

Most people are just like you, bre365. As you said, "I am a Sony guy (just like the brand)".

I'm a JVC owner and really like their pro cameras. Considerably more than the others.
The Canon users will chose Canon.
And talking to a Panasonic user is like talking to a Mac user.

Even if you got 10 people to provide information why they dislike Sony, you're going to
be just fine buying a Sony.

I've used the HC9 - for a tiny camera it's quite nice. It has a mic jack so that makes it
usable for production. What I dislike is it's way too small. When I attach a mic cable
and video cables (for the monitor) it's difficult to use and the focus system is really
annoying. For shorts you're really constricted and limited - any of these small cameras
would make shooting a feature difficult.

Get the Sony. You're a Sony guy. Why change?

Thanks Wil.

Is there anyone that has the Sony HC9 that can provide information on how they like or dislike the Sony?

I have two Sony High-Definition Mini DV Camcorder, HDR-HC9 with the wide screen adapter lense. It is awesome, I couldn't ask for more actually.

I don't trust hard drives for storage so the min dv version was right for me. I plan on using these for a full length movie this year. I will more people like the cannon and the reviews say the picture quality is better but the samples I have seen or not much different and I like how sony has everything included other then the lenses.

I Have the first test I did with it, no lighting just a quick run.

http://foreverseen.com/Movie666.wmv

Last edited:
This is really causing me a dilemma as well, don't feel bad. I'm a Sony guy myself, but I like the Canon camcorder. Choices, choices. I think i'm actually going to have to flip a coin on this one. then again, the price difference might be the decision point and Canon is leading in that issue.....

Sure, but whose got the $7K just for the base? I've read that it isn't really user friendly, quite a bit ot a learning curve, but it still offers amazing quality.

Sure, but whose got the $7K just for the base? I've read that it isn't really user friendly, quite a bit ot a learning curve, but it still offers amazing quality.

User Friendly? Bah. :) We are a generation of no-instructions-necessary. Plug and play. I think if you have a decent amount of skill with a camera to start with, the RED cameras won't pose a problem. The DP's I watched work on the RED ONE didn't seem unhappy or frustrated at all--in fact, just the opposite. They were happier than a pig in shit.

Yes, it's a bit pricey. But come on...really now...$7,000 is nothing for a camera that kicks out that quality. Then rent or buy some lens adapters and lenses...and your production company just set themselves up to produce Hollywood quality movies (if you know what you're doing of course).

It's quite a wonderful investment if you have the money to sink into it. Not to mention, if you were to compare the RED ONE to Hollywood 35mm...well...the difference is astronomical. We should feel lucky that 2K level HD cameras are becoming 'affordable' to the common filmmaker.

And let's be realistic...I see High School kids driving around in Escalades...if they can afford the payments on that, then they can afford the payments for a 2K camera and lenses. I guess you just have to pick your priorities.

Last edited:
Yes you can record HD on miniDV tapes. There are a few camcorders that are HD and miniDV compatible.
I stick with MiniDV because of the fact that if I can record HD on MiniDV, but that's simply my preference on a limited budget. then of course there's HDV, DVCAM.....etc.

Last edited:
Back