• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Having trouble with mics and sound

I rented an external shotgun mic to plug into my Canon Optura 60 camera. The camera also has the optional DM-50 directional stereo shotgun microphone that attaches to the top of it. The DM-50 seems like a more consumer mic while this shotgun mic seems more professional. On the inside it says it's a "Seinheiser K6".

The problem I'm having is that everytime I play back a recording with only the K6 mic attached, I hear really loud camera noise. Whenever it's only the DM-50, it sounds like a home video.

I just plugged both mics in and tested it out while they were both attached. It seems to have a lot less camera noise now and better sound. Is that because it's recording from both mics?

Last edited:
What do I want? (for future reference) I already rented this shotgun mic so I'm going to use it now.

I'm new to FCP so how do I get a mono sound sound more like stereo in post? I ask that because I don't know what you mean by "do your mix later".

(This is the newbies section right?)

Use the Sennheiser. Do your mix later means the location sound mixer is responsible for recording one channel of good sound per mic. Later you do your mix which includes multi-tracking and panning, etc.

The stereo mic if for home movie applications, that's why it records in stereo. The Sennheiser is a production mic so it records in mono. Can't help you with the camera noise except to tell you to record sound externally.

Back