• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Light test in my room this morning

I did a quick light test in my room this morning. While my sister was on her computer, I turned on my softbox and did two shots: one with just the softbox on and the second with a pillow case over the softbox.

Just wanted to post it here and get some pointers. Maybe the iris is open too much? Not enough? I probably could have used another light or reflector, if I was taking this more serious? What would YOU have done to make the lighting better in this shot? Thanks

NOTE: The first shot DOES have a pillowcase. The second shot DOES NOT. I have to run out so I don't have time to change it.

Link

Last edited:
First shot had a bluish light coming from frame left. Looks like daylight coming in from a window. Second lacked that aspect and looked like an evening interior shot.

Both looked good.

That's all I needed to hear. Thanks. It was very simple but that's all I really need to shoot some of my stories. The moment I start complicating my project is the moment it goes to pot.

Be careful with flammable fabrics. If you want to diffuse a light a pillowcase is not recommended. Just sayin'.

The only thing that bothers me is I feel like the skin color on her doesn't look right, which makes me think I need to adjust a setting on my camera. Doesn't her skin color look a little "hot"?

Be careful with flammable fabrics. If you want to diffuse a light a pillowcase is not recommended. Just sayin'.

Thanks for the heads up indi... would you recommend something else besides pillow case? I have gels but never use them, is this when I should put them to use? I don't even know what the gels do...

Getting back to the sample video, how would I light the scene so the left side of the shot is darker. In other words, have greater contrast? For example, if I wanted to create a more dramatic or mysterious atmosphere...

The farther away the light is, the less light it provides upon the subject.

The more stuff it has to go through and the more opaque the things between it and the subject, the less light it provides upon the subject.

so the window screen would reduce the light, 2 window screens would reduce twice as much light as the one.

Back