• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

rendering in vegas ... problems

Ok, here's a little background. Orig footage shot on a Cannon XH-A1 in HD at 24f. Due to the capture issues, import into Vegas was aided by CineForm NeoHD. Footage was then brought into a 1440x1080 23.976 timeline and edited. Now, it's time to render and my results by rendering into a DVDA widescreen MPEG2 (Main Concept), have been less than stellar. There is one scene with a lot of metal surfaces that is producing "jaggies" in the background.
My final product is going to be a DVD (non blu ray).
Does anyone have a surefire rendering solution??
If you have any other questions about facts I have not provided please ask. I'm really shooting in the dark here and would love some advice.
Thanks
Benny

Please show us some stills of what you are seeing, or if possible, a small clip or something.

If the jaggies weren't in the original footage, they shouldn't be in the final footage, especially when downressed to DVD. so undoubtedly, there is something going wrong in the process here.

Sorry for the delay getting back, Dad had an accident.
Ok, now I'm really doubting myself. I went to render a 40 sec clip as Main Concept MPEG 24p Widescreen, and the result looks fine. I don't get it .... if it looks fine there could Architect be compressing the files again and causing the problem? The only non standard thing I'm doing in Architect is changing the fps to 24 rather than the default 29.97fps, as was suggested.
Does any of these problems sound familiar to anyone?
Knowing all the details to each scene obviously, I can see anomalies but I have had others look at it too and they confirmed what I see.
Since the only place the jaggies seem to show up is the DVD I can't really post a cut for you to see.
Any ideas?

That most likely is the issue.. 24p isn't really a dvd standard, unless it makes use of 3:2 pulldown, and as such lives inside an interlaced 29.97 NTSC video stream.

There should be a setting in vegas to export to standard ntsc, which SHOULD just do a 3:2 pulldown rather than retiming it to 29.97.

That's the thing .... there never was a pulldown on the footage. It was shot with the Cannon at 24p (sorry I wrote f before), which is a native 24 fps format with out pulldowns. This format has created many problems for me in this project but I've bypassed most until now.
Without the pulldown (which most applications want to delete or add) it's making things confusing.
I'm rendering in Vegas at 24f standard ntsc, which makes sense because that's what the footage is. 29.97 is never coming into the picture in Vegas and I thought it would be best to stick with 24 in Arch.
I'll try burning in Architect with the default 29.97 setting and see what happens.

That's the thing .... there never was a pulldown on the footage. It was shot with the Cannon at 24p (sorry I wrote f before), which is a native 24 fps format with out pulldowns. This format has created many problems for me in this project but I've bypassed most until now.
Without the pulldown (which most applications want to delete or add) it's making things confusing.
I'm rendering in Vegas at 24f standard ntsc, which makes sense because that's what the footage is. 29.97 is never coming into the picture in Vegas and I thought it would be best to stick with 24 in Arch.
I'll try burning in Architect with the default 29.97 setting and see what happens.
You'll probably need to export from Vegas as 29.97 ntsc (with 3:2 pulldown) first. If Vegas doesn't have that ability built in you'll probably need a tool like this.

Back