Need to find working prop firearms

Hey there, I have an idea for a short film that requires a sniper rifle. Does anyone know of a company that rents out working replicas? By "working" I mean a working action in which it can eject spent rifle rounds or even better fire blanks. Any company that works in California would save me on shipping cost or they are based in or around the bay area.

A working prop is a real gun with blanks in it. This is not something you should be doing without the proper permission and safety requirements in place.

If you have access to Adobe After Effects, there is a script included on the dvd that comes with the DV Rebel's Guide that will let you add in the ejecting brass for rifles & handguns. It's pretty easy to use, and just one of the MANY useful things related to that book.. I highly recommend adding it to your library.

As for the actual prop, look into airsoft guns, they are pretty affordable, and exact replicas of the real deal, only difference is the orange tip, but that too can be recolored in post. Even with the bright orange tip, it would be wise to get permission, or at least notify the local authorities before using one in public. Last thing you want is for a cop to show up, gun drawn, during your shoot, that would surely ruin your day.

Last edited:
There are several places in the Los Angeles area that rents guns
for motion picture use. I don’t know of any in the San Jose area,
but I do know that most of the San Francisco area has very strict
regulations for the transport, storrage and use of firearms.

You will need insurance and the proper permits and a licensed
handler. Many prop masters carry the proper permits and almost
all pyrotechnicians carry it.

Check with the San Jose Film & Video Commission for the details of
what type of permit you’ll need.

Back