Hiring a Producer

Hi everyone, I'm interested in peoples experiences, someone is offering to help me with pre-production for $450.00 (150 /day for 3 days work) Is this considered a fair rate, for a small independent production?

The duties I plan to have this person do involves budget creation. Thank you all

All thoughts and responses appreciated, have a blessed day.

Here in Los Angeles a good UPM with experience putting together budgets
and knowledge of all the local rates and deals will charge $400/day on the
low end. I'm not even a UPM, but I have a lot of experience with budgets
and I charge $300/day.

Here in Los Angeles a good UPM with experience putting together budgets
and knowledge of all the local rates and deals will charge $400/day on the
low end. I'm not even a UPM, but I have a lot of experience with budgets
and I charge $300/day.

hmm, ok sounds like a good deal then, but then again, it's documentary. Just out of curiosity though, how much is "a lot" of experience with budgets?

About 25 years working in and around Los Angeles - a member of three different unions/guilds
(including holding cards in 3 different locals) - thousands of paid hours as a crew member - more
low budget and ultra low budget movies as producer and/or director and/or writer than I care
to revel - close friends with several excellent line producers, AD's and UPM's (can pull favors) and
contacts in just about every aspect of production to get current rates and find out the deals available.

$450 for 3 days work is a great deal. Don't let this one slip away.

Care to put me in contact with this person? I might have work for them.

About 25 years working in and around Los Angeles - a member of three different unions/guilds
(including holding cards in 3 different locals) - thousands of paid hours as a crew member - more
low budget and ultra low budget movies as producer and/or director and/or writer than I care
to revel - close friends with several excellent line producers, AD's and UPM's (can pull favors) and
contacts in just about every aspect of production to get current rates and find out the deals available.

$450 for 3 days work is a great deal. Don't let this one slip away.

Care to put me in contact with this person? I might have work for them.

Oh, this person is based in NY, and they are kind of doing a special favor because its a low-budget independent project (I dont know them, but I know this person through some other people)

If it works out though, I will ask.

Just make sure you lay out in writing everything that they are supposed to do. "Producer" could mean everything from A to Z or nothing in between. Otherwise they could be a total deadbeat.

With respect to Directorik's assessment of the pay - I agree that in Los Angeles it would be a bargain. However, in other places, where this job description is rarer, the price is about right.

The cost of living is higher in L.A. then say a town like Macon, Georgia.

I went through this process when I was looking for cinematographer in the Southern states.

Usually, the few qualified ones are working in the local TV, commercial or music industry. In California, they are a "dime a dozen" with the competition heavy and wholesale.

Back