How will I get financing for my film?

First of all, I'm only 17 years old, still in high school, so this doesn't affect me just yet, but I want to learn the ways of getting a film financed.

Say if I'm 19 and wrote a screenplay and wanted to direct it, how would I get my film financed, in terms of borrowing camcorder, getting actors and actresses, and publicizing it?

Thanks.

hopefully at the age of 19 youll be in college and serious about film

most people dont realize the resources they have on a college campus

youll be able to rent a camera from your schools film department as long as your a student it should be no problem

there will be actors you can use in theater classes and most of them will volunteer for the parts. when i need a few parts filled for one of my films i get to work immediately with people i know first off. talk to them or talk to a professor in a theater class to get students to act for you. if you are serious about your film and put the effort in, youll get serious actors that wont bail on you at the last second.

publicizing- this one i have yet to figure out for myself as a sophomore in college. but the best thing i have done is enter my film into competitions. if your film is good then people, students, professors, critics will publicize your work for you. if someone important sees a good film and likes it, the film community is going to hear about it.
but ive never paid money to get my films out to the public so youll have to get feedback from someone more experienced than me.

i hope this helps and remember if you put the work into your films they will speak for themselves. start early, get experience. go to film screenings in your area, meet people, make connections in the film community. that is the best way to get your films out there. for example im a production assistant for a feature film and ive already met people who live and work in LA, New York, Chicago and many local film makers/crews in my area and believe it or not theres a whole lot of people who work/act for free just to get their names out there. it actually amazes me how many people will work for little or nothing. like me haha. but working for them and making connections sooner or later will pay off cause when i need something done ill have professionals to call and work with me. just get out there and if this is what you want to do, get serious about it. go to local theaters, meet actors, directors, critics. get your name out. get your work out. keep going. thats all you can do man

Last edited:
First of all, I'm only 17 years old, still in high school, so this doesn't affect me just yet, but I want to learn the ways of getting a film financed.

Say if I'm 19 and wrote a screenplay and wanted to direct it, how would I get my film financed, in terms of borrowing camcorder, getting actors and actresses, and publicizing it?

Thanks.

Okay,

You're 10. You have a script and you want to direct a movie.

You will probably need to start the way all of us did. The way all writer/directors
working today did.

You will have to finance the movie yourself. Rodreguz did it. Smith did it. Everyone
posting here did it.

You can ask friends and family to help out - and sometimes they will. But getting
strangers to give you money to make your first movie is not really a realistic goal.

You don't need to borrow a camera. You can find someone who owns a camera
who want to be a director of photography. Actors can be found at any college
where there is a drama department.

Being 17 and in high school, financing DOES affect you. And it affect you right
now. You should be making movies right now. Short movies with simple stories
and non actors. That way, when you're 19 and have that screenplay and want
to direct, people will take you seriously - it won't be your first movie.

What are you waiting for?

I've proven that financing isn't as necessary as one would initially think. You just have to collect a group of creative folks as dedicated to making a go of it as you are.

You can get tons of stuff for free, many discussions on this board pertaining to this very discussion. Never be afraid to ask. My "I'm a local independent filmmaker..." phone script is around here somewhere. And I had written this for 1000dollarfilm.com as well: http://yafiunderground.com/1kfilm/02.Location-Scouting.txt

You'll be shocked what you can get hold of by just asking. We had access to a camel for one of our 48 hour projects.

Back