• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Hyper-cardioid, or shotgun?

I had this posted somewhere else, but I feel it's definitely much more suited to this forum here.

This summer I'll be shooting my first feature, and it's coming down to the months here where I need to start picking up equipment.

I've decided I'm going to be using an Edirol R-44 as my field recorder, for my Canon XH A1.

The question I have is about microphones. I was always under the assumption for filmmaking, you used a shotgun microphone such as the Sennheiser 416, or the Rode NTG-2/3, however doing some research and reading, and watching videos, some places have said that for INDOOR filming (95% of my film) that a hyper-cardioid such as the Rode NT3 is a much better solution.

Opinion or expert advice on this? Any help is appreciated, as I only have enough in the budget for a single microphone, so I have to get this purchase right! :)

I had this posted somewhere else, but I feel it's definitely much more suited to this forum here.

This summer I'll be shooting my first feature, and it's coming down to the months here where I need to start picking up equipment.

I've decided I'm going to be using an Edirol R-44 as my field recorder, for my Canon XH A1.

The question I have is about microphones. I was always under the assumption for filmmaking, you used a shotgun microphone such as the Sennheiser 416, or the Rode NTG-2/3, however doing some research and reading, and watching videos, some places have said that for INDOOR filming (95% of my film) that a hyper-cardioid such as the Rode NT3 is a much better solution.

Opinion or expert advice on this? Any help is appreciated, as I only have enough in the budget for a single microphone, so I have to get this purchase right! :)

I'm not the go to guy on this -- but from my own personal experience, the NT3 is for music. I know people who use it to record vocal/acoustic guitar for their bands. My drummer was going to get one of these a while ago. What I also know, is that you have to be very close to it to pick up any decent sound. I personally wouldn't use a microphone like that for filming. I'd stick with a shotgun, because it doesn't need to be an inch away from your talent's mouth to get decent sound. But I could be wrong -- so I'll just wait for someone to back me up/rip me apart on this :)

I personally have found the shotgun has worked for my stuff the past, just felt I got a better sound out of it that seemed to pick up the sound better. My personal experience anyway.

BTW, nice Camera! Keep bugging my wife to let me something similar, but alas having kids can do that *lol* Maybe have to save my pennies.

A shotgun, even for indoor use, though? I saw a video from dvcreators I believe about how a hyper-cardioid was better suited for indoors cause it didn't pick up echoes or something to that extent.

Basically what I'm looking for is as professional quality sound I can get from a microphone, just don't wanna end up buying a shotgun if it will be a nosedive for indoor dialogue. :(

A shotgun, even for indoor use, though? I saw a video from dvcreators I believe about how a hyper-cardioid was better suited for indoors cause it didn't pick up echoes or something to that extent.

Basically what I'm looking for is as professional quality sound I can get from a microphone, just don't wanna end up buying a shotgun if it will be a nosedive for indoor dialogue. :(

Well, I didn't mean you should rule out hypercardioids completely. I just know that the NT3 is an acoustic mic designed for recording instruments and vocals. Does that mean you can't use it for your film? Maybe not. Wouldn't you rather get a hypercardioid designed for film instead? Not sure what the differences are.

Another problem is multifunctionality. I'm assuming that these hypercardioids are not for recording outside. I know from personal experience (as well as reading many articles, and listening to many test recordings) that shotgun microphones will still get you decent sound inside. If you need one to record your outdoor scenes, you're going to need it at one point anyways, right? Why not just settle with a decent shotgun that can do both well?

I use the AT897. It's on the lower end of the spectrum. It's very cheap for a shotgun mic, but I love the sound I get (indoors) on it. You may be able to afford something better, like the Sennheiser.

We need to get Dave Pastecchi in here. He'll set us all straight :)

:)

Well if I go the shotgun route, I'm purchasing a Rode NTG-3 package from B&H that comes with the shotgun mic itself, plus carbon boom pole, cables, and a few other goodies. The package runs for 1100.

I guess right now I'm leaning toward shotgun, as I don't think a hypercardioid will be useful outside at all.

I've used a shotgun as an all-purpose mic and it does the job as long as you have a good sound and boom person. I'm sure some would disagree, but it has worked out for me.

Back