I need a good camera that has a sd card

are there any good cameras that have decent attachments to give a professional look to the video? I need something with a sd card so I can just dl it to my external harddrive when I'm over seas. instead of having a bunch of mini dv's ( I don't want to spend 2k + on the sony portable mini dv player) .. any recs? do cameras like the gs5000 or hv20 have lens attachments ? 40gb 60gb whats the best deal?

Last edited:
You can get additional screw on lenses for pretty much any camera, and yes the HV20 can take some.. Off the top of my head I believe it's a 43mm thread. BUT you won't be happy with the quality of most cameras that allow you to record to an SD card. In almost every case I can think of the image is highly compressed, not the full resolution the camera can otherwise shoot, and just not terribly useful.

I would suggest if you really are dead set on avoiding miniDV tapes that you look at an AVCHD camera that has a built in hard drive. Or there's also the Sanyo Exacti which is also an AVCHD camera that uses SD cards instead of a hard drive. But it's tiny and not able to take any accessories that I'm aware of.

Any reason you can't just use a firewire cable and use the camera to playback the tapes for capture? You'll have a lot more flexibility that way...

Back