Newbie & RED owner says Hi

hello everyone

just wanted to say HI, im a 26 year old cinematographer from the Gold Coast in Australia. I ow a RED ONE production package and hope to contribute to this forum :)

cheers

Can you film something and upload a full HD

a 10 sec scene of you running along with an actor would be cool *just to see if its possible with red one*

Red one.......

wow i am loving it (and loving you too for holding RED ONE and due to AUSTRALIA). I have adesire to visit AUS and Canada for once in my life.

i hope in future we might meet.

So can i know friend any movies in which you have contributed?

Regards

Australia is beautiful, you should definitely come and visit some time.

I havent done any work on feature films that is worth mentioning.

I shot several music videos, docos, corporates and TV commercials recently. My most recent TV comemrcial will hopefully go to hair in mid/late february in Australia.

Well thats great

can i know more about Australian media and cinema?? i mean its better to know by some one personally rather then searching google.....

no doubt agreat place.but like how many TV channels are there?? is their ahuge market for FIlmmakers in terms of employment etc???

That's a sweet website you have.

Any of those ladies single?
smiley_creepy.gif

How did you end up with so much foreign work, btw? Found it interesting, you being based in Australia, that much of the work was out-of-country.

Last edited:
zen: im actually german and used to study in australia, during my time at Uni i met a lot of people from overseas , which made it a bit easier for foreign work.
besides, im a bit of a travel freak and like to see new places :)

Cool, I thought the red one was 30 KG or something haha *dumb me*

I have a question: What specs are your computer, i mean Red one on highest resolution must be pretty impossible to edit 'cos of the lag?

reel: im using a 17" macbook pro with 4GB of ram, but i hardly do any editing, i just do data storage, conversion and wrangling....leave the chopping up to someone whos got the nerves for it hehe

Now thats a good gig. For me the hardest part of the workflow is the editing process working with full HD. What kind of doc work have you done? This summer I plan to start a documentary project dealing with roots of terrorism and how it relates to US foreign policy. I'll be shooting in the US, Tunisia, and the levantine region of the ME. If you have any good advice from experience I am trying to get all I can find.

thanks Indie :)

r3volt: for traditional docu style shooting, the RED system is probably not the most convenient one...HOWEVER...the amazing quality you get out of a camera thats 2/3 the size of a standard broadcast camera makes up for a lot of things.
the best advice i can probably give you is STORAGE, have heaps and heaps of storage space, both for archiving as well as shooting...its probably best to get a RED drive, since it allowes you to shoot 340 minutes non stop, instead of only 4 minutes when using the 8GB CF cards.

in terms of editing, you can use proxies, meaning you can edit in a lower res, and then in the end just render a highres version. which saves you quite a bit of performance during editing and pre rendering.

Welcome Sir! What is a traditional loadout for you going out to shoot a Doc? On camera sound, sound guy, synch sound recorded in camera, off camera... lights... all that?

knightly: I prefer a sound guy since I dont really have much knowledge when it comes to sound. I rather concentrate on what I can do best and thats camera....so yeah a sound guy who does his own recording.
In terms of lighting it really depends on the look/ circumstances....if a more cinematic approach is desired then I try to use as much lighting as possible....if the time permits it.

otherwise I just rely heavily on natural or available light. Im a big fan of cinematic looking documentaries though....not much of a handheld, shaky image person myself.

In terms of camera gear.... cam with zoomlens and mattebox, standard filters (set of ND's, Pola), tripod.

Last edited:
That's what I shoot with...XL1s, but the rest is the same... I looked at your Reel... impressive, beautiful footage! More practice for me ;)

Back