Choosing a Film Festival

Being a student their are a lot of opportunities to send your work to film festivals. After doing some research it seems that many festivals have limitations. If you submit to them, you can't post on youtube or other festivals. Just a few examples...

How do you know which festivals are the ones to enter? (which ones will put your name out their the best)

What is the most you can expect to get out of a film festival?

You can't know which is best. For one reason: you don't know which festival
will accecpt your film. So you enter as many as you can afford and hope that
one of them chooses your film.

In a way, THAT becomes the best one to choose.

What is the most you can expect to get out of a film festival?
For a short - you get to see it on a screen with an audience.

Enter what are considered to be top ten fests (Sundance, Slamdance, Cinequest, SXSW, etc.) and after that enter fests that fit your film, local fests, and random fests, and then sit back and wait.

You can sign up your film(s) for free, with a basic package that includes a small EPK (electronic press kit) and other blurbages.

About once a week, they will email you a list of upcoming film festivals... and a lot of info on each one.

Many of the film fests will have certain genres. There are tonnes of horror-specific ones, for example. Find some that seem suitable for you. Then, sort them by which ones have just opened up for submissions. (The "earlybird" ones) You can save a tonne of money by submitting to the earlybird ones.

If it looks like a good fest, but it's too late to get a cheap entry, save that fest for the following year - you'll have to wait several months to catch the earlybird again, but if you're doing that for several fests... that $15 or $30 saved on each will add up fast.

I don't have any ideas on how to tell which ones "get your name out there", as you put it. But if you are submitting to just a couple of relevant fests per month, you can spread out the submissions (and their entry fees) easily enough and end up with a rolling schedule that you can afford. :)

That's great advice, I will defiantly have to check out Withoutabox.com

And thanks to everyone else who has responded. I appreciate it and will take it into consideration.

Back