more ? on mic

thanks for previous help, now i have more ?s. It seems a lot of people suggested i just get a mic that plugs directly into my camcorder with a mic input, but are any of these really comparable to shotgun mics i was talking about earlier. They are cheaper, which makes me hesitant. And also, I would probably want to use a boom pole for these kind, too, right? can i buy extension cables? or should i still be set on getting a shotgun mic? im just wondering if camcorder mics are really worth getting. Also, ive heard of devices that you can record audio to, but do not remember exaclty what they are called. something 2? do these work well with mics, can i match it with the video on editing software, and how is the audio quality compared to recording on the camcorder itself? if i get it on the camcorder, will a shotgun mic sound better with an adaptor cable than a camcorder mic? whats the best way to get this good audio? someone please help!

p.s. i have previous posts, so you can find out more on my situation there. I want to buy some audio equipment and start shooting, darnit! Just kidding. I know this is a big decision. Thats why im posting so many ?s. Thanks for the help!

Just to clear something up -- You want an XLR shotgun microphone. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT get a stereo (mini) jack microphone (Like the Rode video mic). They are near impossible to use on a boompole because of the insane interference you will get. The longer a mini cable is, the more interference you will get. The lengths of cable you will need in order to mount it on a boompole, your sound is going to go to shit.

not knowing what you have to spend on Sound Gear...i cant help you

so please give me an idea of what you would like to spend and i will look around for what i think you should buy...

Merry Christmas

re

I prob. want to spend only up to 500 altogether if possible. i was thinking that a mic would be about half that, then with accesories it might be a little less than that. any suggestins for add ons? beachtek adaptor or converter cable? there is a big price difference between the 2, so if i can get away with a cable that would be nice. Also, there will be a sound difference when im done, right? I just hope, even on a tape, the sound will be much better, and what mic to get. Was thinking of getting audio technica at897. Other sugg? what about specific accesories, please? i need to know exaclty what to buy, as there are so many cables, like 3 pin female to this, etc. what kind do i need? thanks again!

ok...thats gives me a better idea

so you have no money to spend...thats ok...have to start somewhere i guess...i would start with a Beachtek DXA-6HD or similar...this will give you better preamps than your camera has and better control over levels...very important start...you can buy a good mic..but if you plug it into crap...you get crap...so for your budget...this will be a must..i believe....

everyone always asks me "Dave, whats the most important piece of equipment you own?" and i say. "besides my chair...lol...is my Headphones !!!...what good is all this if i cant hear it correctly"

so get yourself a decent set of headphones too...no that you should spend over 300. on a set...but the Sony's around 100. should do you fine...

ok...now you need a mic...hmmm and cables....time to hit up ebay...you dont have enough money left to buy a new mic and cables....seems everyone on this board wants AudioTech at897...might as well get it...i dont know why...i have made my points time and time again here, why not to get one...but no one agrees....so, im gonna let it go and say, "for 200. what are you gonna get anyway?" not many choises...so get it.

ok...thats what i would do(except for the mic choise)

but the Beachtek should be you NUMBER ONE item on the list of things you need...then see what you can do with the money you have left...maybe borrow a mic till you can afford something better...or rent one when you have a good project you want to shoot....

hope this helps

I agree, the beachtek should be very high on your list of things to buy for audio gear..

for what it's worth, I have a beachtek dxa-2s, but do not currently own a shotgun mic or boom.. I rent or borrow them when I need them, usually runs me somewhere between free and $50 for a weekend.

Back