• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Final Cut Studio

I have Final Cut Studio and I'm looking for tutorials. I really like the site, VideoCopilot.net, however it's apparently all Adobe products. Anyone know of any places to find tutorials like this for Apple products? Thanks.

apple.com has excellent tutorials for Final Cut.

I was curious after reading your request so I typed "Final Cut tutorial"
into Google and found dozens. I didn't click on any of them, but I bet
you'll find something you can use among the thousands of sites listed.

Let us know if you find tutorials you like, okay?

I have found some basic ones. yes, I also thought the ones on the apple sight were great and I'm going to look into them, as I have them bookmarked. I posted this thread because I was looking for dynamic ones like the VideoCopilot site. If you take a look at them, they are very interesting and would be perfect for my short films.

But yes, I'll post some links here if I find anything interesting along those lines. Thanks once again for the help, directorik.

Okay, cool. I'm definitely going to take a look at those. I'm about to shoot a short and I want to use slow motion on several occasions. Is there anything I need to know while shooting, before post-production to accomplish this? I ask because some tutorials I have read related to slow motion mention shooting in 60i?

I guess there are several methods of obtaining this effect? Also, I believe I can use Motion 3 to make a good slow motion effect? Maybe I should just stick to FCP? What do you think?

you'll also need to shoot at a shutter speed that will turn those timeslices (the 60i ones) into useable pictures on their own... so you'll want a faster shutter (generally the math is frame rate x 2, so 60 fps would be 1/120 shutter) to capture that timeslice instead of smearing it in with the previous ones in camera... this also means it'll be capturing less light per frame (field technically), so you'll need to open the iris (apeture/exposure) a bit more to compensate... or add light to the scene.

So can I still shoot in 24p? That is what I am shooting the short in....

To achieve slow-motion in post, I basically want to the shutter speed as high as I can without taking away too much light? As well increase the aperture? I'm sure I will be adding a lot of light to the scene (it will be a pretty small room so shouldn't be hard)...

for the slomo, you'll probably want to shoot in 60i for 50ish% speed or 30p for a 6% slow down. the thing about slow mo is that you record more timeslices/second and play it back at normal speed to acheive the slowdown

There will be a slight difference, but if you want slow mo, that's a sacrifice you'll have to decide on. You'll have to do some post work to get them to match as closely as possible, but no more than any other shooting differences between shots.

Since you're using a camera that doesn't "actually" shoot ovvercranked footage, you'll have to do post trickery to get it in slow mo. That means you're specifically choosing to degrade the footage to get the temporal effect of slow mo. There is no way around that, it's a fact of physics.

If this is something that you're unwilling to sacrifice image quality for, either figure out how to go without the slow mo bits, or use a different camera.

If you're using final cut from the studio package, you should have Cinema Tools (or is it in Compressor?). You can do "Image Flow" slow motion with it by converting frame rates... not precisely how, but I have seen articles out there on it... Google is your friend. That will keep the resolution and do slow mo stuff by interpolating the frames between based on the existing frames and the motion from one to the next (like cel animation in cartoons - "tweening"). This can sometimes cause some funky artifacting around pieces in motion if the edges are indistinct (shoot with a higher shutter speed to avoid this - again, more light/wider aperture).

As far as frame rate, it'll end up the same frame rate, but the motion signature will be slightly different.

Back