Sony HD 1000u camcorder, more to offer than I thought...

Okay, so, I have been playing around with my HD1000u camcorder a bit, wondering if it may actually have a smaller DOF, pehaps small enough for a film-like look...it does, in fact, the depth of field is small enough, you can get an extreme close-up of say...a ring being held by your fingertips, much like some of the great close-ups of the ring in Lord of the Rings, you can have the focus right on it, and have objects less than 7inches behind the subject already out of focus, by a noticable margin, reach a foot and the blurriness is even more pronounced. It is probably due to the long structure of this camera, having more room for the lenses inside to move and adjust than smaller, yet higher-end (in other aspects such as light sensitivity) cameras such as the VX2100.Lens size also has a big part to play in this, the HD1000u sports a 37mm lens, the VX2100 sports a 58mm lens, significantly larger, for wider shots, and bigger DOF by nature. This fulfills the number one step towards attaining that film-look--DOF! The next steps depend on physical and/or digital filters, but let's talk more about this camera...

Now, the HD1000u may not be ranked very high-end, but it does sport some great features that are worth noting, and if you manage lighting well, this may actually be just the right camera for you. Another really awesome feature, is the SPOT FOCUS. This camera features a touch screen, and the SPOT FOCUS feature enables you to touch the portion of the frame you want the focus on, and it will snap right to it! With these tiny screens built onto the camcorders, it can be pretty hard sometimes to really tell for sure if your subject is in fact in focus 100%, and the HD world is far less forgiving for being so much as a hairline out of focus--problem solved!

This camera does, like any camera that is considered prosumer, give you control of things like shutterspeeds, saturation, etc. So unless you need to be recording 60fps or higher, this camera should be just right for the job, just give it sufficient light, which, I think any of us is capable of that, it doesn't have to be anything beyond what proper set lighting is, keylight, fill, backlight, and you've got quite enough to eliminate noise. The only thing I now wouldn't use it as a primary, but only backup for now, is weddings, since unlike indiefilms, we cannot always control the amount of light available.

This camera shoots 1080i (1440x1080). I know, many of you want the "true HD" but do consider this for as second before paying for a camera that will give a resolution less than 1 pixel more per inch on screen (1920x1080...1920-1440=480 more lines, that's it), and natively progressive: Deinterlacing in post is always an option, and so many HD playing devices (best of which being an xbox360, should you encode to highest quality wmvHD) have newly improved upscaling techniques, that the difference between 1920x1080p and 1440x1080p (assuming you've deinterlaced) is really quite minimal or even invisible to the human eye, and though many do not know it, but even 720p looks surprisingly closer to 1080p than what the manufacturers would like you to believe.

Unless you need a supremely advanced camera for shooting at extremely high framerates andother such features, you may want to consider two or three of these cameras, which together could cost less than one of those beasts. This camera can be found on BH for $1400. Any questions?

Hope this is a help to you, I will be shooting some of my next projects with this camera, and utilizing its strengths if DOF for a closer to film look!

Thanks! I just looked this up on BnH, I think I found a new camera to play with. Been contemplating on which camera to buy as my first "professional" camera, well, at least something Im not afraid of seeing the quality results, and fits within my budget constraints. A lot of good reviews on in too.

Yes, it does give great quality, as long as lighting is good! The strange thing is, Sony said they made it targeting wedding videographers, yet it's really not great as a primary camera for weddings, due to the lack of control over lighting, but for indiefilming, I'd say its potential is just waiting to be unleashed.

hmmm....MiniDV

here is the only problem i can see...and is true for all MiniDV....this is a dieing format...and like all MiniDV recorders...the heads will only give you so many hours before they need to be replaced or your quality will start to go...drop outs..etc..due to worn or dirsty heads...they will try to sell you Tape Cleaners...but all these really do is put more wear on your heads...hmmm

you will most likely need another camcorder to use as your transfer and rewind machine as to not use up the life of you Sony doing that...using it for your transfers will greatly reduce to life of the camera...even rewinding

i do love the price...and the shoulder mount...just wish they went with a Flash or HardDrive for capturing the files...

I'm really not so sure I'd say minidv is dying, it is still very popularly used, especially for its security, it is the ultimate backup, as data cannot be instantly deleted or lost like how harddrives die. Fact of the matter is, minidv is actually very highly demanded, it'll be around for quite a long while, it's not going anywhere anytime soon. But you are right about he heads, under heavy usage, they will eventually begin dying off, but they can be sent in for service, which will replace them when needed (actually had to have that done for an old consumer camera, bout 5 or 6yrs into its lifecycle, and it was used quite often, and the repairs did get it back in great shape). One of the biggest contributing actions to the death of the heads is rerecording over written data on the tapes, which is showing the damage it does on the cameras at my college (in one of the courses, they do in-camera edit, so people rewind and record over mistakes when they have to, a lot) and the quality is getting noticeably bad, as they have been doing this for a few years.

Flash I hear would be the much better format than hdd, hdd's not only die, but if they are actually built into the camcorder, the whole thing is dead. Not only that, but all these 30gb+ hdd cameras give rather horrid quality as the footage is being immediately compressed, where as for SD, minidv is actually not compressing the image anywhere near as much.

Now the really large, super-expensive cameras such as DVC Pros, those are recording to what? Large flash cards? Those I would count on for maximum quality, as they are using only the best quality of such storage mediums. But you will have to pay multiple times the price of an HD1000u for one of those bad boys. But as long as you take good care of your minidv camera, it will still last you a good few yrs before having to get the heads repaired/replaced, which sure, it'll probably cost about 200$ for some of these repairs, but you should be able to get that done a few times before having to just replace the whole camera altogether.

Mividv cameras may not last as long without need for a once in a while repair, but they will last enough to get your money's worth out of them and more.

Good points, but for the newbie filmmakers, I think the MiniDV is most practical for affordability and versatility of formats. I mean you can put HD on MiniDV tapes as well, so until a film maker gets a positive cash flow from distribution and can afford a camera upgrade, I'm thinking this might be a good "break in" camera. Hell I read an article that parts of the Blair Witch film was shot on Hi-8, so I think this could be a great camera for the beginner, but I don't know, i'll have to submit a review after I buy one. As far as the play back issue, well, even with a hard drive you have the potential for the hard drive to crash or become corrupt, then you have to buy a whole new $800 hard drive, so there will always be issues of wear and tear on cameras regardless of the technology used. If wear and tear of the heads is an issue, there are other options. Being a video editor, I have a Sony VTR that can record and playback HD, MiniDV, and DVCAM, so that'll save wear and tear on the camera. Professionally, the MiniDV may be fading away in favor of the P2, hard drive, etc. But I think even DVCPRO and BETACAM is still used. So, I don't think the MiniDV will completely go away for a very long time, if anything, I think it could become the next Hi-8,- affordable for the home use but an obscure format professionally. I personally like working with MiniDV, but I do have the same reservations that you mentioned about how long it will last for Professional use, guess we'll see. It's not like I'm going to be a full time professional film maker anytime soon anyway. :)

i will agree...MiniDV is a great format...but for storage..tape is never a good idea...as it will erase itself over time if not stored correctly...

no matter what form of media i would record on, i would always burn a DVD backup for my storage...protection...whatever...

MiniDV days are numbered though...ive seen many machines get outdated while they were still in forduction because manufacturers stoped making the media to put in them...the only thing keeping MiniDV around at this point are all the MiniDV consumer camcorders still out there...but as prices drop on HDD and Flash camcorders...MiniDV will die...sad to say...

its had happened to me 2 times...case in point
i had over 12,000. invested in my nagras...then one day...and this really happened overnight...they stoped manufacture of 1/4in tape...only the film business was still using it and thats not a big enough market to justify producing it any more....by by nagras

so then i go out and buy 2 Fostex PD6's with backup Mirror drives...ok there goes 14,000.
less than 2 years go buy and they stop making MiniDiscs in Cartrages...this being a shock to Fostex as this was thier number one production recorder....and they were still manufacturing a machine with no media to put in it...lol...so Fostex came up with a quick solution to make an adapter to put regular minidiscs into so you can load them into your machine....and stoped production of the PD6 and have started making a new maching that uses full size DVD-Rams...which i own now...MORE MONEY !!!!

as a result, those that didnt dump thier PD6's right away are finding out they can only get around 2500. for thier less than a year old 6000. machine...

so...you never know when that day will come and neither will the camera manufaturers...they have no idea when media will stop comming....they are in the dark just as much as we are on that one...

my guess is that it is not far away as prices drop on new cameras....shame because i do love MiniDV and would be my choise to go with...and there are some great cameras out there that use this format...i have seen used GL1's for less than a consumer camcorder out there...i would jump on one of those if i were going to start shooting and didnt have a fear of MiniDV going by the way side.....

so in the end...i was never putting down MiniDV...hell...to this day i cant get as good a sound as i did with my Nagras...Tape was FAT...tons of headroom...warmer sound...smoother...and i knew it was there...digital i have no idea its there unless i play it back....lol

be well

I would recommend minidv over any camera that sports a built-in hard drive, but not ones that sport removable harddrives, which are the ones I pointed out to be very very pricey. Sony seems to be the most keen on keeping minidv alive, and that is probably due to the fact they can sell bulk loads of the tapes at places like BJ's and Sam's for low prices and still make plenty of profit, especially with so many of us wanting to record to a media type that does can hold data for so long without a chance of instant deletion. It's just so unlikely for minidv to fall out of the market when its got such a huge consumer base, both pro (vast majority of wedding videographers) and consumer. In fact, the wedding videographer base is so large, and so in need of minidv, Sony built the HD Z7U as the first 1080p minidv camcorder to answer our demands for a great HD camcorder in lowlight, which just goes to show how much Sony listens to our community!

i will agree...MiniDV is a great format...but for storage..tape is never a good idea...as it will erase itself over time if not stored correctly...

no matter what form of media i would record on, i would always burn a DVD backup for my storage...protection...whatever...

MiniDV days are numbered though...ive seen many machines get outdated while they were still in forduction because manufacturers stoped making the media to put in them...the only thing keeping MiniDV around at this point are all the MiniDV consumer camcorders still out there...but as prices drop on HDD and Flash camcorders...MiniDV will die...sad to say...

I have to respectfully refute the above statments, first, tape is actually an optimal storage backup, most major corporations actually use tape to backup their computer Hard drives, yes I agree DVD is better and in time tape does degrade, but unless you plan on living to over 100 years old, you'll never see a tape actually erase itsself. You can store more on tape, of course BluRay brings a whole new meaning to digital storage. Now data and video are different when it comes to tape of course, but some major studios do actually use tape. Tape was actually used when NLE's first came out (that's a major difference between online editing and offline editing, they used to use tape as the main video piece to edit from). Plus, as far as the longevity of MiniDV, I think if you checked with your local news stations, you'll find most of them (or at least in my area) use the MiniDV for pre-recorded segments. So, I think it'll be around for a while, but I could always be wrong, I thought the HD-DVD was going to win the battle of the next generation DVDs, but BluRay does appear to be a better format. but hey, I get what you're concerned about, you don't knock the MiniDV itself, your just concerned about how long it will be on the market, well, I and some others on this Thread don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

Last edited:
i have seen many a tape erase...in less than 100years...im not that old...lol

and yes, alot if not a major portion of ENG and the like use MiniDV...being that the best Video camera use this format...

as for tape backup...thing of the past...and yes it is still used at a high cost to those who use it to be kept in Climate Controled Storage...the only reason it is still used is because of the enormus cost it would take to retransfer and replace all the outdated machines they use...

tape has never been an ideal system of storage...it was just the first to replace more fragile film....and in business...the enormus amounts of paper...

ok..i had to sit back for a few to realize this might be getting a little overblown...so let me say i am sorry to have taken this post to a level of debate away from what this post was all about...

and we could debate this till we were 100years old, in which case i would die first and you win
EvsFX08 :)

i was only intending to thow a few things out there as an Alt...something else to think about...
not to become a heated argument, which is were i felt this might be headed...

so once again...i am truley sorry for taking this thread to another place other than what AgentJonnyB intended it to go....

Sorry Jonny

Hey no problem, I wasn't upset or anything, we all brought some good points to the table for consideration, this was actually quite constructive! But we are a bit off topic, lol! Maybe we should see about some of this being moved to a new thread "To minidv or not to minidv, that is the question" or something, lol!

Oh, I didn't think it was being overblown at all, in fact I think it was a great discussion. It's ok to agree to disagree. It's also productive to bring up points that others may not be aware of, and then debate those issues because you'll find some people have different ways of overcoming the issues, so any discussion on this Forum that remains respectful, thought provoking, and productive is always a benefit to all who read the Thread :)

ah cool...was worried that i might of offended someone and that is never my intentions...

good to hear...

now to go out and buy a tape storage for my computer...does anyone still make those???

Just Kidding

Back