Please help!! need info on AC and PA camera

what is a PA camera and an AC camera and what is the difference... i have a huge problem because i am potentially part of a film crew and i was asked what crew i wanted to be in based on experience PA or AC and i have no idea what the difference is between the cameras or whatever the hell PA and AC means.... and this would be my first real and professional experience on a film crew... please help me this is really important... thanks guys

Production Assistant (PA)
AKA: Set Production Assistant, PA, Gopher, Personal Assistant, Assistant To, Assistant To Producer
A person responsible for various odd jobs, which could include such disseparate tasks as running errands, stopping traffic, acting as couriers, fetching items from craft service, etc. Tasks and levels of responsibility can vary greatly, depending on the film, the needs of the rest of the team, and the skills of the individuals PA themselves. Production Assistants are often attached to individual actors or filmmakers

Assistant Camera (AC)
AKA: Assistant Camera Operator, First Assistant Cameraman, 1st Assistant Cameraman, 1st Assistant Camera, Assistant Cameraman, Camera Assistant
A member of the camera crew who assists the camera operator. This person is responsible for the maintenance and care of the camera, as well as preparing dope sheets. In smaller camera crews, they may also perform the duties of clapper-loader and/or a focus puller.

Good Luck!!

what is a PA camera and an AC camera and what is the difference...

No such camera, best I'm aware. :D

i was asked what crew i wanted to be in based on experience PA or AC and i have no idea what the difference is

Tell 'em you want to be a PA. Production Assistant.

It's an impressive title for a crappy job. :cool:

Use the opportunity to see how things work, meet some people, talk to people about their specific jobs (and abbreviations for their titles), and get bitched at by the Assistant Director. (AD) :P

If you know nothing about cameras, I would not suggest signing up for AC (Assistant Camera).

You never know, though. Last gig I was on, I was a plain PA. The AD "promoted" me :rolleyes: to a 3rd AC.

New job? My full-time detail was to remind people not to touch or go near the camera. :grumpy:

The actual description of what a 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc will be doing varies from project to project, and budget to budget.

Gah, I'm rambling. Just go with PA for now, make some contacts and see how everything all fits together.

thanks guys i really appreciate the help and taking the time to explain what the difference is... i feel kind of stupid now lol oh well... and yes production assistant does sound like a badass job but basically means your a bitch boy for the director haha oh well i still want the experience and cant wait to actually get on the set and start making movies!!!! :)

thanks guys i really appreciate the help and taking the time to explain what the difference is... i feel kind of stupid now lol oh well... and yes production assistant does sound like a badass job but basically means your a bitch boy for the director haha oh well i still want the experience and cant wait to actually get on the set and start making movies!!!! :)
Actually on a normal set you wouldn't have anything to do with the director, he/she's focused on the film. But yeah, you may be driving a van and fetching bagels or lights.

Don't feel stupid. You would have been stupid to NOT have asked the question. This Community is the place to ask the questions you're afraid to ask anywhere else. Believe me, I've asked my fair share of what I would consider amateur (or dumb) questions, but I've always had people like VPTurner, IndieTalk, Will Vincent, ZenSteve, and others respond with respecftul and informative answers, even if it means they answer repeat questions, which I'm sure happens all the time. The people in this Community are here to help each other out. Hell, I had no idea what a PA or AC was either, still trying to find a Thread to tell me what a DP is. though I'm sure even the Administrators learn something once in a while from these Threads. Oh, and bagels and coffee are important and someone has to get 'em. :)

Last edited:
Back