Submitting to IMDB

Let's say I have a feature and I am distributing it myself.
I would like my film to be listed on IMDB. What is the process of getting there?
Any experience, ideas? Thanks!

I've tried listing "Death Bed" twice with no results. It meets their criteria... and being listed was supposed to be a prize of the competition for coming in the top 10... I'm not sure if i'm entering something incorrectly, or what, but it doesn't seem to want to take there. We even have an actress who is previously listed and a screening event that was already listed which didn't help.

I'm curious to know what I'm doing wrong in this process as well. There's a form to fill out on the imdb site somewhere, can't recall where. Your film has to have screened in front of a couple of audiences and have been selected to play (Official Selection) rather than being guaranteed to play (like in a 48 hour screening). We've screened 3 separate events and it still won't take... I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong.

Yah, they can be fickle as heck.

Last project, I submitted three cast members at the same time. They each popped up one month after each other, one at time.

Later, I added 5 peeps from animation, on one form - 3 of them were up in 2 days, 2 of them still not (one of whom has existing credits)

I seriously think the reviewers flip a coin, with each submission that comes in.

I've tried listing "Death Bed" twice with no results. It meets their criteria... and being listed was supposed to be a prize of the competition for coming in the top 10... I'm not sure if i'm entering something incorrectly, or what, but it doesn't seem to want to take there. We even have an actress who is previously listed and a screening event that was already listed which didn't help.

I'm curious to know what I'm doing wrong in this process as well. There's a form to fill out on the imdb site somewhere, can't recall where. Your film has to have screened in front of a couple of audiences and have been selected to play (Official Selection) rather than being guaranteed to play (like in a 48 hour screening). We've screened 3 separate events and it still won't take... I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong.
Sometimes it takes just resubmitting it a gazillion times and making sure that every possible position and category has an answer. Usually when you get rejected, they send an email with the reason why (albeit their reasons are usually very vague). Make sure you have a user name and login to contribute this title or you won't receive notification. The buzz on their message boards is that IMDB used to be fairly lenient but now if your flick got into lots of festivals as a selection, you have to send verifiable proof, such as a scan of the festival program, and link to the festival website. The film itself needs to have a bona fide website, too.

You can also post a message on the "Contributors Help" message board with your submission number and ask the staff to look at it and tell you why it's not going through.

Last time I asked they required a link to a screening at one major festival, or 2+ minor festivals (in competition). Or a link to a retailer selling the DVD. The more screenings/retailers you can link to, the better chance.

However, the waiting list where new titles are put is cleared every week, so if yours were not in the top of this list (eg. based on nr. of screenings) then it risks disappearing from the system.

Last edited:
I had reviews listed. The official website. All the cast and crew. The Marathon I was in. The official site of the marathon. Even the wikipedia listing of the marathon. None of that got me a listing. I was told the movie was too localized(whatever that means).

Now, imdb has a deal with WAB, and I guess if you enter enough festivals you're automatically granted an imdb page.

The thing that really pisses me off about imdb. I know at least two unknown individuals, that have movies with no names in it. That haven't been made, and never will. Yet they somehow got imdb pages. When I asked how they did it, they wouldn't say.

Would that be the same "Death Bed" that Patton Oswalt mentioned in his stand-up for a while?

Oh my...don't get me started on IMDb. :) Pulling teeth has a new meaning...

We've had to send and resend information so many times, it's become comical. Almost.

I work with a director that has over a dozen IMDB listings--pretty much all of the talent and crew already have legit listings. And yet IMDb still has us pulling our hair out. There really is no rhyme or reason...I have first-time director friends who somehow seem to get their pre-production films listed, yet we can't get our veteran-made released, distributed films up there.

One great story...I'll make it quick. We were on the 5th resending of the application, when they specified it had to have been shown at a festival (why, I don't know, since it had already been premiered, and shown at theaters multiple times), and we said OK...and we actually found the very festival we were in on their drop-down menu of festival choices...cool right? Nope...they sent us another email denying us, and stating 'How legit is this festival, who do they let in, how many films get in, what are their criteria?" And we were like, what the hell do you mean how legit are they? You have the festival on your own bleeding website as a choice.

No rhyme or reason. I'm telling you.

I could tell you benchmarks you need to get on IMDb...but they are always unique case by case.

* Have a website for your film.
* Be selling your film...on the website, as well as Amazon and the likes.
* Send ALL links your film has received in terms of 'press.'
* Get your film in festivals...hopefully the festival is 'legit' enough to satisfy their timeless hunger.

After all that, you MIGHT get lucky enough to be listed.

I may seem angry...I'm not. I'm over it. Just warning you all.

Last edited:
Back