• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

shooting two people conversing

Lets say we have two people having a conversation and we are doing an OTS shot of both. In most movies we see, is the Director shooting one person at a time then switching the lighting? Or are both actors lit so they can be filmed at the same time?

It could be done both ways but I think the norm is to shoot one at a time and switch the lighting. I am working on a short for uni now which is basicly a 2 person conversation, I will be shooting one at a time.

If you are dealing with method actors or lots of improvisation a two-camera set-up is great, especially for two OTS shots. If you do a one-camera, then yes, this requires two set-ups, which means shooting everything from one set-up, and then setting up the next one and shooting it. You may also want to get a two shot as a master.

The other possibility is to do one light set up that covers both actors and shoot it from different angles. Doing two different light set ups takes time, and you risk the continuity of your scene. I see it all the time in films, a character will have a light coming onto the side of her face during her shot, and then the side light disappears on her ots.

A very basic set up that you could shoot multiple angles from is one where you set up two lights. If both actors are facing each other, then you can set up two lights behind the two actors, each light hitting one of the actors in the face and the other actor in the back of the head. They can serve as both the key light and the back light for both actors.

With two OTS shots you would light each one separately. There's no need to light an angle you are not shooting yet, you concentrate on the shot at hand. There are times you can use the same set-up, like when you punch in, but that still needs tweaking most likely.

TDoing two different light set ups takes time, and you risk the continuity of your scene.

Very true. It takes time and there are risks. But for decades, filmmakers
have used this method of shooting.

While you do see mistakes in films all the time, there are also many, many
films where you don't see mistakes of continuity and lighting.

I find it impractical to light both shots in the way you suggest. The lighting
suffers. I know it takes time to do two completely different lighting set ups
for a simple two person conversation and I understand the risks of continuity
so I schedule the time and have a person whose job is to check for continuity
issues - even if that person is me. I feel the effort is worth it.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to be working with amateur actors so I'm probably going to end up shooting in both actors at once. I like the idea of a key light behind each actor. We'll see what happens.

Back