• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Adding camera shake

I just finished filming a scene inside an airplane, some of the shots were greenscreened showing the sky out the window, some of them just shot in the plane with no sky visable. In the shots without the sky visable it does not seem very realistic. In one of the shots the actor and I were just messing around with "camera shake" to give the illusion of a bumpy ride. With the actor bouncing around a bit in his seat, and then the camera shaking just a bit, it looks very realistic when combined with the right sound.

I can't go back and film at this location again so is there any way i can add artificial but realistic looking camera shake to the shots that don't have any? I am open to suggestions with any software, vegas, premier, fxhome. Thanks.

basically you'd have to scale your footage up slightly, then keyframe it's position in random movements...

After Effects has a very simple command built into it to make this an effortless process (It's called the "wiggler")

Whether you do it in after effects or any other program, the basic principle is the same... here's a tutorial on creating an earthquake effect in AE, that'll help you a bit with figuring out what's going on with the image and such..
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/earthquake_with_32bpc/

Also, Video Copilot.net sells DVDs with premade effects that you can use, such as camera shake. Being on a timetable, I use the hell out of Andrew Kramer's Presets because the effects are already created, you just insert your footage, it's awesome. I think the one I'm thinking about is the DVD called Serious Compositing and Effects. His products are not that expensive, but I own everything he has put out to include his latest ProScores. So you can do it the manual way like Will, me and other Artists have done, or let someone else do it for you. :)

Back