shot my first roll today with a Canon 814

I ended up with a canon 814... Everything works as new and I found it for a pretty good deal. Today I went out and shot 50ft of TriX through it. I definitely had some of my questions asked through trial and error. I can see why people say it's a fast film. I had a .9ND filter on the end plus the daylight filter that was locked into place. My light meter still wanted to expose the image at around 14-16 on the iris. I'm a rookie so I let it do just that.
Focusing is also a lot different then what i'm used to. It was much easier to zoom in all the way/focus/then zoom back out.
All and all, I had an awesome time and cant wait to run some more film through it. Much more exciting then video and got a better feed back from the people who were around me. Now hopefully everything comes back from the lab ok.

I still plan on getting it... Does it sound a little off. It seems to adjust well when I moved the camera indoors or into the shade. I was a little surprised to see it almost closed a few times with the camera filter and the ND filter.

no, not yet :-( Should be anytime now though. I did shoot a second roll yesterday when my wife and I went to NYC. It was a roll of 64T. I was able to see how the light meter reacted differently vs the the TRI-X. It was so crowded though it was very difficult for me to set up some nice shots where I could change the zoom/focus, and monitor the meter.... There just wasn't any time. Definitely had fun though. Cant wait to practice some more.

Got my first roll back from the lab yesterday. I took a few test shots around work. I set the exposure to auto and really didn't mess with it much. Now i know a little bit better after seeing the results. I think I can decide when to keep on auto and when to adjust from my better judgment.
A lot of the shots are underexposed.... Maybe I shouldn't have used the ND filter.
thoughts... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noo_iuHJ-iU

Get to the choppah! /arnie

Looks like you got stuck with the really bright/white sky overwhelming the foreground in many of those shots. I forget the term for that.

How did Pac Lab work out for ya? Never heard of 'em.

I did... On a videocamera I would have just used the backlight feature. I guess on the canon 814 I should have opened the iris up 2 stops. This was just playing around testing things out and getting the feel for it. The ND filter might not have been a good idea to use.
PacLab was ok... I wasn't really blown away by their prices or turn around time.
I also pumped out 2 rolls of 64T that i'm waiting to get back from Dwaynes photo. I'm thinking that i'll have better results.

alright I just got my canon 814 in the mail yesterday and am waiting to go purchase some ektachrome, but I still have some questions about my internal light meter.

I'm guessing that it's powered by two 625 mercury batteries, however they're not manufactured anymore, and the only alternative is to purchase 675 zinc air cell batteries. Is this correct? If so, would it be better to purchase an external light meter or use the internal one?

If I should purchase an external light meter what should I buy that is economical?

Yes you can use air cells. Other solutions exist.
Read this:

Attachments

• mercurycellproblem.pdf
    490.8 KB · Views: 109
yeah i read it, but there are 6 different options to choose from.

You can make/pay to adjust your exposure meter to work with silver-oxide cells, use zinc-air cells, make/buy an adapter, solder schottky diodes. I wanted to know which option you guys think is the best because I don't want to invest into buying an adapter or what-not if it's not going to work as well as a different solution. You know what I mean?

Back