Camera Confusion

I am a writer who is getting into film making. I have never owned a camera and become more confused the more i research cameras. I've read about lenses, 3ccd, minidv, Hdv, Frames per seconds, and shotgun mikes. I've read countless user reviews. And then to consider the editing half of film making and my mind is ready to explode.

I'm looking at the canon xl1, canon gl2, or Sony vx2000.

Will anyone just tell me which damn camera to buy?

This comes up about once a week here, Jake, so you're not alone. Do a search in Indietalk, and you'll find a lot of good information. Last year I sold my GL-2. It's a good camera, but no HD. If you want to have your camera last into the future, I'd suggest getting something with HD (partially due to Rik's advice, I bought a JVC, but the project that I thought that I was going to start fell through, so I haven't really done anything with it yet, so I can't tell you what a genius Rik is...yet!). The cameras that I was looking at were Canon, JVC and Sony.

Once you look at all of them, you'll see that each is great in and of itself. I suggest that you pick three, and look for the best deal you can find. You can find Sony Refurbs sometimes on Sony's website. If you're timing is right you can get a great deal there.

Good luck.

Chris

HD Camera Guide

If your looking for information about cameras, I have a great website for you. It is dedicated specifically to HD cameras but it has some great info about cameras/lenses/accessories etc. The site is www.hdcameraguide.com

I would also love your feedback if you visit the site.

3200. buf that one...hefty price for someone starting out and he will still have to modify it if he wants to get a film look and a rail sysyem for follow focus...add another 1000. or more to it....

if i were to start making small films...i would start with something like this:
JVC GZ-HD7U used if you can for around 300.oo
Redrock M2 Micro bundle...have seen them for under 1000.00 with all the bells and whistles

so for less than half the price...he can have a setup to take beautifull images with

plus no MiniDV's to buy...and heads to replace in the future...he can transfer and playback to his hearts content and never have to worry about wearing down his Heads on the camera

but this is just my thoughts...something else to think about

Back