HELP tight situation

ok, so i am basically buying most of my equipment and starting with nothing. Im planning on getting a camera(s)?, editing software, and a boom mic, as these seem to be the basics and neccesities. I've done god knows how many hours of research and asked a million people at stores. I have an idea of what I want to get, but there's the final problem: budget. The main thing that's on my mind now that I can't seem to find help with is the camera. I know that I want a tape camcorder so I can easily edit (and it seems best for filmmaking, right?) I found that most dvs are very inexpensive, but picture quality is important to me. Then I found the canon hv30 and it has never been the same. It seems perfect for me, not to mention the price is extremely reasonable for its capabilities.(its high definition, btw) The problem is its still pretty expensive with all the other stuff i want to get, and i cant help but keep thinking if its just better to get a regualr dv for much cheaper. Would i be able to enhance the quality of the video with software? I'm thinking of getting the sony vegas pro (like $500). Is this a good software? Can it enhance it to make a difference? or does a regular dv look fine anyway for filmmaking? I also have an issue of whether to buy 1 or more camcorders. I think 2 would be plenty, but im thinking i may need that many to get various angles in 1 scene. Can u get good cinemetography with just 1? is it worth it to get 2 and edit later on? Also, I could use some suggestions for a good microphone. I've seen a million online, but i need to know which ones deliver the best quality. (yes ive heard of the rode videomic. is it extraordinary? cause thats wat i want) I keep hearing good reviews of cheaper ones than the videomic, and i see some that go from 250 to 1000. is it worth it to get these much more expensive ones? I want really good audio. And what bout software? I'm guessing to have more options like complete scene editing etc. i need something like the sony pro for $500. If someone could at least help me with one of these questions that would be great. srry its so long. Ill post other threads on each issue seperatly, too. Much appreciated!

P.S. Heres my situation. I'm in high school and have made videos in past, but want to make good-looking MOVIES now. like feature length. I have many willing friends to cast and help, but i feel i need to be in charge of all the behind the scenes type of stuff. I love suspense and action, and of course, great films witha a great story. I dont really plan on spending money for filming. Ive got friends homes and land, etc. Thats just crazy for me to do that, in my opinion. Ill probably be spending enough on equipment as it is. Thank you friends!

The rode boom mic will allow you to capture good audio... more expensive brings more quality (an old audio adage is "You get what you pay for" - and I've found it holds pretty true), so the $1000 mic will get you better sound, the question is - is the difference enough to justify the added cost?

Same with the camera (although, i'm perfectly happy with my SD setup, I'd love to go HD... I've shot with the XHA1 once and loved the image quality!) The SD will do just fine for you (footage from my XL1s looks pretty good on a movie screen in a theater :) ), but if the cost can be justified by the better image quality, then go there.

Don't forget to get some lights... I just got this kit:
http://www.amazon.com/KT750U-750-Wa...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227966854&sr=1-2

Love it! Lighting is so much faster and easier (I have no big stands, so have to improvise all the time) with this than with it is with all my clamp lights and work lights.

I, too, am a high school filmmaker on a tight budget. If you insist on purchasing your own things, then go with a cheap Audio Technica mic.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATR-...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1220720589&sr=8-1

That, in my opinion, is the best cheap mic around. You will need a 1/4 in. cable extension, though. If you don't necessarily need to use your own equipment, then hit up your high school broadcasting class, Drama department, or band or choir departments. They usually have mics. You might even be able to borrow or rent a video camera or two.

If you really want to do some longer films and establish yourself as a younger filmmaker, then write your scripts. Carry a clean copy of your most recent work with you everywhere. If you want to borrow someone's camera or mic, whip out your script and hand it to them. Nothing makes you look more professional than a script.

And remember, never be afraid to borrow.

I'm a junior in highschool trying to get money for exactly what movieman wants, hv30 and vegas. If anyone is in the CT/NY area let me know, I want to get a feature gogin and am in the proces of writing it.

Back