Light meter for Nikon R8

anyone have any suggestions for a decent light meter? I've read on a site "super 8 in the video age" that a light meter is not a good idea. I know many others have a different opinion. Since the onboard light meter is potentially broken on my R8. i guess i have no other option other then to guess.

Your best bet is to get one that's got both incident & spot reading capability.. I have a sekonic (I think, it might be a sekonic clone though, haven't looked at it in a while).. It's a nice digital meter that will let me take both kinds of reading, and it lets me dial in the film speed and frame rate. It's also got a flash mode, so I can use it for stills if I wanted to..

Since a light meter is absolutely necessary in determining the
amount of ling so the settings on a camera can be adjusted
correctly, I can't imagine anyone making an argument that a
light meter isn't a good idea.

I wonder how one sets the iris without using a light meter. That's
what fully automatic cameras are doing - and they are using a
light meter.

If you can, I'd love to see the link to what you read.

Sekonic is what I recommend.

I use a Tundra D-3B

It's not very good: the on/off switch gets turned on by the easiest of bumps/nudges, and as a result it eats batteries. :(

On the plus side, it does have a cine-scale on the dial, so you can adjust for your exact fps, too. :)

It was about $70 (new). It's not one of the fancier ones with digital displays, etc.

Since a light meter is absolutely necessary in determining the
amount of ling so the settings on a camera can be adjusted
correctly, I can't imagine anyone making an argument that a
light meter isn't a good idea.

I wonder how one sets the iris without using a light meter. That's
what fully automatic cameras are doing - and they are using a
light meter.

If you can, I'd love to see the link to what you read.

Sekonic is what I recommend.

Thanks everyone for the help. Once i start getting out there and rolling through some stock my questions will most l likely slow down.

this is the link that i saw. http://www.littlefilm.org/LFFundamentals.html#Light Meter

Thanks, Steve.

It's an interesting take. I have always used a light meter for my
super 8 cameras and haven't had the problems Brodsky and
Treadway write about.

Thanks, Steve.

It's an interesting take. I have always used a light meter for my
super 8 cameras and haven't had the problems Brodsky and
Treadway write about.

Not a problem... I've heard great things so i dont think i'll be taking their thoughts into consideration. Also, I've found out that the R8 take two wein cell 1.3V batteries. I dont think the guy that i bought the camera from is aware of this. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
steve

Back