• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

New to FCP

I'm gearing up to edit my feature, shot 24F HDV on the Canon A1, and need to purchase an editing system. I've read the minimum hardware specs on the FCP site, but wondered if those of you with FCP experience have any additional recommendations. For example, I'm looking at a used G5 with a single core processor, but wondered if it's preferable to have a dual or quad-core machine for a project like this.

BTW, I'm not particularly computer-savvy. All my previous editing experience has been cutting actual film or using the Applied Magic ScreenPlay, so please don't hit me with too much high-tech jargon.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Preferable and usable are two different things.

I've cut features on a G3 and version 2 and 3. I'm currently
using both a G4 PowerBook and a G5 single core processor
iMac and FCP6 to edit my feature length movies.

I'm sure having a top of the line, fully loaded current machine
would be preferable, but I have not problems at all using the
older models.

The direct answer to your question is yes - it would be preferable
to use a quad-core machine. But that used G5 will do everything
you need.

I'm 43. My first experience cutting film was 1987, when I apprenticed for an editor on a 16mm flatbed. In 1994 I shot a 16mm feature, which I cut myself on work print and had the negative conformed, optical track burned, the whole nine yards. Took me 5 years, start to finish (in spare time, as I got the money together). That was the last time. While I don't miss the expense, I do miss handling the celluloid.

But you're definitely right about the trim bins. I was pretty anal about restoring and slugging the reels, so I didn't lose too many frames (learned my lesson when I apprenticed and the lead editor would call for 3 frames from the head of take 23-4 a week after we'd cut the scene).

Video is most definitely cleaner, faster and cheaper. But computers make me nervous -- those tiny, little zeroes and ones are so volatile.

Video is most definitely cleaner, faster and cheaper. But computers make me nervous -- those tiny, little zeroes and ones are so volatile.

The first editing I ever did was on those Sony decks about the size of the smaller sized laptops. Computers make me nervous as well, but everything I know about FCP I either taught myself or got a little help from people here who know the system better than I. I have both the manual for FCP and the "for dummies" manual for when I need to know something right now.

....I learned the hard way to keep everything as well...plus try to keep the tapes as long as possible....

If I can do it, you can do it :)

-- spinner :cool:

Hey gang, just thought I'd update this thread. I ended up getting a used G5 with dual 2.7GHz processors, with Final Cut Studio 2 installed, for around $1000 after using eBay holiday coupons and Live rebates! It came with 2 gigs of RAM and a 250 gig HD, so I bought and installed another 2 gigs of RAM and a new Seagate 1TB HD. Also got a great deal on a new Sony 26" Bravia HD LCD monitor - around $400 after rebates. Also picked up a copy of FCP HD for dummies, since the computer didn't come with any documentation.

I think I'm ready to go! :D

now i feel really old...i grew up in my dads editing room..learned on upright movieolas...then went to a steembeck then to a kem...but as soon as i was 18..i was on the set working in sound...

and now my daughters cut thier stuff on computers...gonna have to give it a try sometime...

but i do know pro-tools....just never had the chance to play with picture on a computer....

who knows...maybe some day i will actually go out and buy a camera and shoot something...haha

be well

Waagh, I'm in trouble already. :huh:

When I plug my Canon XH-A1 into the G5 via Firewire and adjust the settings in FCP for HDV 1080 24p (or 60i, or anything else), the software says it doesn't detect the camera. Oddly, if change the settings to DVCProHD (which is Panasonic, right?) then I can see the footage on the preview screen and see the audio registering on the VU meters. I guess it's okay for me to upload it that way, isn't it?

Thing is, I can't hear the audio from either the line out or via the headphone jack. I've maxed the volume control on the G5 and can hear the PONG sound good and loud when I get an error popup, but no FCP audio.

Anybody using the A1 with FCP who knows what's going on? Thanks!

This is not good. I have yet to load a single frame of video into FCP and I'm ready to pitch the G5 out the flippin' window. :grumpy:

Now I can't get any combination of settings to recognize the A1. I'm sure I used the DVCProHD settings last time when it worked, but not anymore. Nothing works. I opened up the documentation specifically describing how to load HD formats and followed it to the letter. Nada. It even says "Canon 24f HDV format" -- which is exactly what I'm playing back -- and tells which settings to use, but the computer says it can't detect anything.

I've rebooted computer, restarted camera, checked camera settings, checked cables, spent 4+ hours trying literally hundreds of various settings combinations and gotten nowhere. Every once in a while the camera's playback functions will work and I can see the time code running in FCP, but there is no picture or sound. Now I remember why I've avoided computer-based editing systems for so long.

Please, if anyone has a clue what I'm doing wrong, I'm at my wit's end!

Now I remember why I've avoided computer-based editing systems for so long.
Please, if anyone has a clue what I'm doing wrong, I'm at my wit's end!

As a support professional, I've dealt with many people at their wit's end. And I've heard the computers make life more difficult thing often.

The specific psychology is that something goes slightly wrong and the frustration makes it worse... take a deep breath, drink some tea and call me... I'll PM my phone number to you :) We'll talk calmly through fixing it so you can edit. But breathe first.

Wow, your link did provide a lot of interesting stuff. I did several Google searches myself, but didn't get nearly as many useful results -- must've used the wrong combination of search terms. I'll experiment with some of the suggestions provided and keep fingers crossed.

Thanks!

Back