Funding

Where do you go to obtain funding? I want to Produce a Christian film about a guy who is into drugs as a teenager and then turns his life around starting in rehab where God finds him and then uses his life for good to help others that are like him. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Is this your first movie?
Is it a short or a feature?
What format is it being shot on?
What is the budget?
What is your distribution plan?
What funding do you have in place already?
Is there anyone involved in the project who has successfully
taken a film to market and produced a profit for investors?

With the answers I can point you in the right direction.

My suggestion would be that you start looking for grants.

It doesn't really matter if the storyline is Christian or any other religion. The only thing that will really matter is whether or not you have a good story that will work and a good director to pull it off.

You need to answer directorik's questions though, because there isn't enough info to either send you to the right places or to tell you that you are putting the cart before the horse....

-- spinner :cool:

This is the first movie and it is a feature (although I have done a few shorts and worked on other films). The format is DV and the budget is conservatively $20,000. I want to go straight to video but I am still in the learning process on how to accomplish that. I do not have any funding in place yet although I do have most of the equipment and post production software. I don't have any name actors, directors nor anyone on the project who has taken anything to market. I'm kind of at ground zero here and appreciate any assistance you have! Thank you for your suggestion spinner....I will look into grants.

You currently don’t have a project that will attract investors.

A first feature is typically a very poor investment.

A budget range isn’t attractive to investors. Legit investors want
an exact, line item budget. Many first timers ask for a
conservative $20,000, get several week into the production and
find out that’s not enough. Now the investor has to choose
between losing everything on a movie that cant’ be finished or
investing more money.

A filmmaker who is still researching the market for the movie
isn’t a good investment. There are thousands of filmmaker looking
for investors who have a fully researched plan. You are in direct
competition with them.

Having equipment and software helps to keep initial costs down.
You have something on the plus side.

Grants are MUCH harder to get than private funding.

My suggestion is you spend some time researching the market for
your movie - that’s something investors really want to see. That
there is a possibility of the movie making some money back for
them. The Faith-based market is growing and there is a demand for
movies - with Christian films being in high demand.

While you are going that research you need to generate a full,
line item budget.

If you can get some seed money, that will make your package more
presentable. Friends and family is usually where first timers
start. If you can raise $5,000 to $8,000 ($10,000 would be best)
from your church and friends that will help you raise the rest.

I have always seen investors and grantors(?) as pretty much the same when it comes to your approach. If you would have to write a proposal in order to get a grant (and you will), you need to have a proposal to send an investor as well. I don't think it is realistic to just walk up to someone and say: "Hey, I have this great idea, do you want to invest in it?" I don't see that as telling the investor/grant very much.

Now, I don't know how to go about finding an investor, however when I had to write a proposal, the book I used was Shaking The Money Tree by Morrie Warshawski. What that book did was tell me how to write a good proposal.

Because if you are going to want someone to give you money, you have to tell them what you intend to do with said money--in detail. Some questions might be:

How much money do you need? What's the budget? (obviously) What are you going to spend it on?
Do you have a schedule?
When are you going to start? How long do you expect it to take to shoot this?
How long to edit? When will it be done?

How do you intend to promote this? How do you intend to advertise this?
Who is your target demographic? Why would they want to come see this film?

Why are you doing this film? Why is it important?
How is it going to benefit society at large? This is a question I had to answer with my documentary, don't think for one second that the answer should be obvious. It isn't, you will have to explain it like any other proposal.

....get the book. Read it. Try to do what it says so that you don't just walk up to someone and ask them for money. You'll need to do the work so that you have an answer for every question.

This isn't to discourage you, but it is to at least get you thinking in very practical terms. Business is business and even more so when you are looking for funding.

-- spinner :cool:

If you are staying around the 20K range, another possibility is to create a team of like minded individuals who would enjoy putting "skin in the game." It's possible that a cinematographer has his own lighting and camera gear. An audio guy has his own equipment. And a writer is seeking a producer credit. If all these folks have day jobs and are willing to throw some cash into the pot, 20K is not a lot of money.

For these type of risk share agreements to work, everything must be in the flow. Speaking with a qualified attorney is a good idea. If things aren't fully spelled out and contracted, it could get ugly on the back end... An attorney will help you find the correct business structure to operate with the least amount of liability.

But assuming you can pull it off, this is one possible way to fund a first feature.

Last edited:
Based on what you have said, that you want to fund a $20,000 feature, go straight to DVD, market it in a niche market, are that you are unfamiliar with distribution and marketing, I would have to say that you are setting yourself up for defeat and not getting your film made. Since you did not mention self-funding, or family or friends, I assume that source for funds is out of the question? If so, then you have a long ways to go in order to attract an investor. Any investor wants #1 to make their money back, and #2 make a profit, the size of which is based on their perceived risk.
I suggest you either partner with someone who knows what they are doing in regards to the business side of film, or get you some books and join some forums and learn it yourself. A good place to start would be Stacey Parks, INDEPENDENT FILM DISTRIBUTION (she has a website too, www.filmspecific.com) and Phil Hall's INDEPENDENT FILM DISTRIBUTION.
Additionally, I suggest you forget DV. No distributor is going to accept a film made in DV anymore. And if you self distribute, HD will look a lot better anyway, so why cheat yourself.
I work with filmmakers all the time through my non-profit, CarolinaFilmFactory.org, and their number one problem is they completely ignore the business side of film. And their project never gets made. You HAVE to at least make your money back.
I spend a lot of time thinking on this subject. I surely don't know all the answers. But after doing 3 films and a couple of shorts, and talking to hundreds of people I have a pretty good idea of what NOT to do.

Jack
www.indiefilmbiz.info

Additionally, I suggest you forget DV. No distributor is going to accept a film made in DV anymore. And if you self distribute, HD will look a lot better anyway, so why cheat yourself.

Jack
www.indiefilmbiz.info

Is this really true? If so, why? I thought DV was still being used quite a bit....this kinda squashes my plans a little, so it's good to know the facts about this before hand.

These days you can shoot HD and self distribute via the internet at the push of a button. High production value can be attained for a fraction of the costs of days gone by.

Getting back on track... If you are really producing a Christian based film, then you may consider finding people more experienced in filmmaking and align yourself to them. Do you have a completed and good script? I didn't see mention of this in the thread.

Why HD?

This might be thread creep, but the format you film in really does have to do with funding in a way. Getting funds is all about planning, all about strategy, all about making your money back. If you do not provide to the viewing public and to the distributors what they want to see, then you will not get your investors their money back. All the distributors I have talked to have said you need HD or better. I was also on a webinair a couple of weeks ago with Stacey Parks, who is considered to be a pretty good authority on Independent Film distribution, and Tanya Kersey, founder of the Hollywood Black Film Festival, and they both stated quite emphatically that you need to shoot in HD or better format.

How on earth are you going to make a movie for $20,000 that a distributor will be interested in, especially in this economy and the declining indie media market? And do you really think even 100 STORES across the US would actually stock your DVD if by some miracle a major indie distributor picked it up? Just creating an enticing DVD box will cost you $5,000. You will be competing with 4,000 other movies made every year, many of which are made for over 1/2 million and don't get beyond just Internet DVD "distribution". Expect to lose that $20,000. I'd seek to sell your script instead.

So what type of return are invesotrs looking for? In other words, if someone goes around and does sell their idea to investors, they would say, "and in return for your investment, you'll recieve.......(fill in the blank) over (fill in the blank) months...." ? What does a typical investment pitch look like, or is this a widely varied issue as well? I do plan on getting the book Spinner recommended, just for FYI purposes.

So what type of return are investors looking for?
Well if the investors know what they're doing they'll want 100% of first monies, then keep 50% (or more) of the 2nd monies. The producer(s) getting the remainder. Personally in this economy and in this declining independent DVD market I'd just skip the % and get paid up front one time.

Well if the investors know what they're doing they'll want 100% of first monies, then keep 50% (or more) of the 2nd monies. The producer(s) getting the remainder. Personally in this economy and in this declining independent DVD market I'd just skip the % and get paid up front one time.

Ok, at first, I thought what's the point in seeking investors if they take 100%, but maybe I'm not understanding what you are meaning by 1st and 2nd monies....?

Back