Help selecting mike (Sennheiser)

I am completely new to film making but I got Sennheiser to sponsor me with stuff half price which is very nice of them.

So my question is. What do I need?
And I mean in total, all mikes, do I need amp? what should I record to?

So I'll start by describing my setup which is easy enough. I am gonna run with a Canon 5D mk II when it arrives and it does have a 3.5mm input jack. Should I use this or get external unit?

Second. I don't need to record instruments nor song. What I need is the ability to catch dialogue and also record sound effects (door opening, glass breaking etc).

So my question is what do I need from sennheiser to do this. Also should I buy/construct a boom or try to shoot from the sides?

Price range is fluid. I want really good audio. But paying insane amounts for non audible differences is not an option.

Okay after spending some hours getting into the whole mike business I think I have come to the following conclusion. The MKH series seems nice but is just to much hassle with it's phantom power requirements and stuff like that.

So instead I am much more into the K6 modular-system with the different heads which seems affordable and okay.

However I now have one major question. It seems it outputs a high output. Not really what is expected by a "mic-in" on the videocamera which makes me think it's a good idea with external recorder. But what should I get?

I'd consider the ME-66 with the K-6 power module. Your camera should be able to record with that with no problem. If you do have any audio problems, you should be able to adjust your camera's audio to make it right.

There are more tech savvy people on the site who might be able to give you a better details than I can.

Chris

hi Rick...you should have no problem connecting the 66 to your camera, but you will have to get a XLR to Mini adapter...if you chose to go with a better mic...you will need to get a PSC or Deneke Phantom power Supply to power the mic with 48volt phanton...these are better quality mics and sound a million times better...but will cost you big bucks...the power supply alone will probably cost what you are going to pay for a 66....i would leave those to someone going into sound....

you are also going to need a good shockmount for your mic and a boom pole and cables...another idea would be to try and get a little eng mixer to plug it all into and have your boom op control the levels before it gets to your camera...most small eng mixers have T Power (12volt) and Phantom Power (48volt) for the mics...so that would get rid of the need for a Power Supply...So your boom op can wear this over his shoulder...control Mic level and his headphone level and send you either Mic or Line level to your camera...

but in the end...if you are just going to feed to mic to your camera with no mixer in between...you are going to have to control the levels of the mic yourself with the camera...not a great setup...but can be done

have fun...and shoot

Back