• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Books on advanced editing

Does anyone have any recommendation on books that I can read for advanced editing? Specifically, I'm looking into learning about why I would need to "pull down" video, change the frame rates, worry about interlaced versus progressive, etc. I'm looking into the technical side of film and video. I can do amazing things with post production and VFX, but I'd like to get into the more advanced stuff that I read here on the forums. I've looked at Amazon and Creative Cow, but it's hard to determine if they have the info I'm looking for. Like, if someone gives me an AVI, what formats would be best to export it to and questions like that. Right now, I simply use amatuer video or MPEG 2, but eventually, I know a customer will get with me with a DVCPRO, DVCAM, or some other high end format and I need to know what and why I need to set my NLE settings to. Minus the special equipment I know I'll need, I just want to learn more about the different settings. I know this forum will come through for me like it has with everything else, so thanks in advance.

What NLE programs do you run?

When i first got FCP i signed up to lynda.com and took one of the courses on FCP. Before exploring the program Larry Jordan teaches you about frame rates, NTSC VS PAL, all the different types of formats and the pros and cons, interlace and progressive. I've been editing for years and I learnt alot about formats and little details that i hadn't bothered to learn before and now i'm a much wiser owl.

I can't say that I know of any book off hand that covers all of that in detail. There may well be one, but nothing comes to my mind.

However, when it comes to the artistic side of editing... knowing why certain edits work better than others, I very very highly recommend The Eye Is Quicker by David Pepperman. This book doesn't necessarily teach the HOWs of editing, but it does a very good job of teaching the WHYs. In that I mean it won't hand hold you through using a particular NLE, but it will explain the best way to cut between various shots, why those choices are best, and why it works. The ultimate goal is to explain editing so that it can be accomplished in its best form -- invisibly.

thank you Will, I think that's exactly what I'm looking for, is the "why", once I know the why, I'm sure I can figure out the "how". I can't thank you enough for taking me directly to a book, I searched Amazon, but there's way to many choices to know which one is a good book. Plus, the price on this book is really low! -Meaneye -I use Vegas primarily for editing. I'll look into Lynda.com again, but I did take a lesson on Photoshop from this site, I can't remember who the instructor was, but he put me to sleep. I found Total Training much easier to stay awake with. I'm glad to see I'm not the only editor who wasn't previously concerned with frame rates and all. I was nearly embarassed to even post this Thread for admitting I don't know this advanced stuff, but I realize I really need to have an understanding of this info. Business is actually picking up now and so I want to be able to improve upon my products and be able to expand my skills and services, plus, it's just nice to know stuff and be considered a professional like Will, Indietalk, Directorik, and the many others on this forum that make this forum so helpful. So, thanks again to both of you, much appreciated.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.. it's a good read, the author has a kind of familiar discussion with a friend style of writing, and gives many examples that you can check out by popping in the movie to which he refers.

You're right, the price on the book is pretty low.. less than I paid when I got my copy... ;)

Others that would be good to have in your library, though not specifically editing books, would be:

Film Directing: Shot by Shot & Film Directing: Cinematic Motion, both of these books by Steven Katz will help ensure you get compelling footage that helps tell the story and is useful in the edit suite...

Also, I very highly recommend that you pick up the DV Rebel's Guide by Stu Maschwitz (of The Orphanage).. This book will help you with every part of a production from pre through post. The material on the included DVD alone is worth more than the cost of the book & DVD, and the book is chock full of great info.

Back