View Full Version : canon L2/L1 users?

highgroundhitter
10-18-2008, 11:37 AM
hey all, im wondering if anyone has experience using a canon L1 or L2

high 8 film.

thinking of buying an L2 on ebay for around 300$ wich would cap out my budget.
cant spend the 2,000$ for a newer setup. just want something to get my feet wet with filmaking.

im a semi-experienced photographer, and my budget is currently capped do to the purchase of a new camera(nikon d90)

directorik
10-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I used Hi8 for years. Both are fine cameras.

Since they aren't digital you'll need a converter to get the video
to your NLE - but that isn't really much of an issue. Either one
is fine for getting your feet wet.

highgroundhitter
10-18-2008, 12:02 PM
thanks for the quick reply :]

were do i find a converter?
not sure were to even look, complete newb, sorry !

indietalk
10-18-2008, 01:18 PM
You posted this in the film section and posted "film" so do you know Hi8 is video?

Thread moved.

highgroundhitter
10-18-2008, 09:28 PM
anymore advice???

indietalk
10-19-2008, 09:43 AM
For $300 you can definitely get mini-dv. Hi8 is 1990s/thrift store stuff.

directorik
10-19-2008, 11:39 AM
In the other hand the L2 has a mic input and interchangable lens - something no $300 miniDV camera has.

highgroundhitter
10-19-2008, 11:48 AM
my thoughts exactly^

i figured any camcorder with changeable lenses would be the better choice.
plus i want the features offered with a "professional" setup, even if it is older.

the L2 i have my eyes on, also comes with the canon SLR converter/extender wich will alow me to use any cannon AF lenses, wich i have a few left over from when i used a 10d.

the mic input is definetly a selling point for me, as well as the lenses.
i cant imagin getting very good sound quality with a standard consumer style camcorder.
atleast i can branch off with the L2.

cant wait to jump into film making,
my brother and i are gunna throw half n half on this L2, and possibly get some lighting..

any suggestions?(on lighting)
i have strobes, but i cant imagine i could use these, since they are meant for a burst, instead of continuous shooting.(soft boxes n all)

JCNailen
10-28-2008, 11:50 PM
I've seen video shot with a L2 that rivals anything made with MiniDV. Maybe it's the lens. But take warning: Some of the ones you see on Ebay, like the L1/L2/A1, Sony CCD-VX3 look like great cameras (I used to have a VX3), but the all suffer from the same plague - leaking surface mount capacitors. I have a hook up with a guy who specializes in repairing the leaking caps on the Sony's. I think he charges $245 to replace them, and I know another place that specializes in the L1/L2 line, probably the same price. Just warning you.

Duke
09-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Hello,

I'm from France and I have a Sony CCD-V6000 killed by leaking capacitors (PCBs are dead)

Since it's a Pal camera, do you think the guy you know could repair it?

Thanks!