Recording audio

I am about to make my first film, and only have one camera so I will be filming scenes from different angles. I was thinking the best way to go about this is to purchase a mic so I can use one continuous audio with all of the video. Where should I start? I know nothing about mics. What are the best brands for the best price? I really dont want to spend a lot of money on a mic initially. What about boom poles? Is buying a mic and mounting it on a pole the best way to go about it? I really dont want to spend more than $50, I know thats asking a lot, but for right now I dont need a top of the line mic. I just need to get the job done.

$50 bucks...hmmm

you are going to end up at Radio Shack and HomeDepot...radio shack for a mic and home dpot for some tape and a broom stick.....lol

ok...for real now

DONT BUY ANYTHING...you dont have to cash...and anything you can get for that amount of money will end up in the trash...so here's my idea...

Post an ad in Mandy.com or something similar to that...Looking for a Boomperson/Soundperson with some equipment...tell them what you are wanting to shoot and if they have to tools to help you out...FOR FREE or the $50. you were gonna thow away..

just an idea

for probably about 8-15$ you could go the poor man's boom-pole route:

get one of those 6inch or so long pc mics for about 6$ at Walmart, a pvc pipe (1inch diameter), cut to a 5ft section, and 2 2.5ft sections, some connectors so you can connect the pieces if you need the full 10ft, that's about 2$ at Home Depot, some electrical tape and rubber bands to attach the mic to the end of the pole at an angle, probably about 2-4$ at Home Depot, and then 2 12ft extensions for the pc mic cable, that should attach it from the pole to the cam with a good amount of slack left.

I used pc mics in the past and actually got really good results, they are amazingly receptive, just make sure the pole and the mic are held together tight with rubber in between so the plastic surfaces don't rub against each other causing an annoying scraping sound.

ok...im gonna up the bugget on the JonnyPole

ok...drop the PVC stuff on the ground...dont worry...someone will pick it up...move over to the paint department...pick out a nice extendable painters pole..fiber ones are beter for what you are going to do....but try to keep it cheap as there is still more you need...then checkout before someone tells you to pick up the JonnyPole parts....get on Ebay and type in Boompole..and you should be able to find a Thread Adpator for a Painters Pole there for around $14. Done....

I actually have two of these as my antenna mounts for my soundcart...cheap...and lets me get my antennas up in the air...

the problem with PVC...besides the flex you might get with thinner pvc...is STATIC...just running your hand down a PVC pipe can make a hell of an amount of static electricity...NOT GOOD...

ok...back to Mic...problem with PC mic...they are omni directional...so they are going to suck in sound from all around...

drive back to Home Depot...pick up the JonnyPole mess if someone hasnt already...then get back in car and head to Radio Shack...if they are still open...this has been a long day....talk to the salesman (they usually know nothing) just for fun....but maybe he has a microphone with a little mroe Direction than the PC Omni mic...maybe a Cardiod Pattern...and make sure you can plug it into your camera....and a long enough cable..or two...to make it down the pole and to the camera from where you will be booming from....and the mic should come with some kind of mount...which will fit on your $14. adaptor....

ok...so we went a little over budget...dont most films...lol

be well..have fun...

Back