Distribution Death

As Independent Filmmakers, when you make a movie, you give it the name that you feel is appropriate. Some give it a name even before it gets written, some get their names during or once it is finished written. This is your movie, and should be entitled to make your own name for it. What happens once your movie is made, put on a DVD for screenings, festivals, conventions, you make a website/forum for it, get a Myspace or Facebook page for it. Once shown at the screenings, festivals, and conventions the fans start to get really into what it is all about. What would you do, if you get a new distributor, and they don't really get what the movie you made is really all about. They don't seem to know what the fans, the cast and crew, are really about, and they decide that while you are finishing up all the details of completion of the editing for distribution, that what is real about your movie, is just another project to them and they come up with a new name that is not truly not about anything with your movie.

I am writing to all you filmmakers that have the possibility of this happening to you. This holds true for the movie called Red Victoria by Anthony Brownrigg. Their new distributors want to call it Writers Cramp, that has no basis on the movie what so ever. Well the fans are fighting back. I don't believe the distribution company should be able to do this with(even though I know it is their right) as much following as the movie has. I believe that once the movie has a title that is appropriate to the writer/director, It should be that name, as it is their movie!

I have started a petition to urge the distributors to leave the name as it was given, and what it has been for the last 2-3 years. So many interviews, reviews, website postings, that have been done, those will mean nothing if it is changed.

So I am begging you all as independent filmmakers, fans of the independent work, cast and crew of independent work, to please go read and sign the petition. This could affect you some day. Would you want this done if this was your movie? Please at least read it, sign it if you are in agreement that this type of thing should not be done. It will ask for a name and an email. No one will contact you by email, it is just to verify that this is a real person. I have set it to where no one can get your email address, not even me. It is just for verification. The petition is located below....
http://www.petitiononline.com/redvic08/

Thank you for all your help, I hope to return the favor one day if ever needed here!

Last edited:
I respect your opinion and am happy to help out a fellow movie
maker.

But....

I also empathize with the distributor. The Anthony Brownrigg has
the right to NOT take the deal if there is anything he doesn’t
like about it - including the title change.

I am not in agreement that this type of thing shouldn’t be done.
It happens all the time (it’s happened to me) and I believe the
distributor has the right to request (and make) what ever changes
they want. Just as the filmmaker has the right to not accept the
deal.

But....

I signed it anyway. I hope someday you will help a fellow
filmmaker even if you disagree with their stand or opinion.

I do understand that it is their right as a company to do so, and his choice not to sign. I am just hoping that with this petition they will understand just how special this movie is as named and how much the already existing fan base of Red Victoria is being supported.

I will still buy the movie regardless(even thought we have the DVD of Red Victoria from TFW last year), as I am a big supporter of the Indie Filmmakers!! Indie movies right now are the heart of this country, as there is just not much originality coming from many of the films out today!

I will always support the indie filmmakers anytime, as they are giving us so much to enjoy. If we the people do not stand for the indie circuit, who will! Thank you for signing it anyway, I do understand your point.

Well i think changing the name of the movie should be discuseed between both the parties. Being the filmmaker my movie is my asset but at the same time we have to remmebr that Distributors are more well aware of the MARKET. If they are changing the name with some specifi marketing strategy then let it happen by their will.

dawnskies, again dang, you really get around.

I'm anthony brownrigg, the director,editor,dp, VFX etc etc of Red victoria. I wanted to drop a note here as im seeing all this on google now. WOW.

dawnskies, you're a gem. Any filmmaker couldnt have hoped for a better fan than you. :) To everyone else, it seems as if everyone is getting the impression that *I* somehow started this. Actually, it was those that have seen the film. Yes, im totally jazzed by it. Also if WellgoUSA, my distributor is reading this. I love you.

I actually was relieved they only wanted to change the title, and my original news was that it was coming out feb 09 as "writers cramp". I was totally floored when I started getting emails complaining about it, and no less than four other folks asked if I would be offended if they protested to the distributor. Yes, I immediately called the distributor to give them a heads up, and to say NO, it was not my idea, hahah. yes, im totally grateful to even have a distributor, and so far FYI, well go has given me a sweet deal too. So, up and up with that.

As far as the title change, I have no idea, they know what marketing strategy they want, and they'll go with what they want to go with. Doesnt' make me feel any less warm and fuzzy inside that the film actually HAS fans. And they would care enough to want to keep the title. :D So for sure, hats off to them, and thank you so very very very much.

On a personal note, do *I* like the title change? of course not, I named it what I wanted to name it. But hey, you gotta do what cha gotta do. Its either gonna be one or the other. :)

Thanks for the input by the way, its good to hear stuff from folks just looking at this whole thing from the outside. :) I myself after having seen my film about 1,246 and a half times through post can get mentally lost in the shuffle.

Cheers,

AB

Just wanted to inform you all of this, that WellgoUSA was absolutely floored by all the comments posted on the petition site, they had quite a few phone calls and were informed about the petition, and decided to check it out themselves, so now I don't even have to send it in. Just as I had said, they had absolutely no idea the fan base and all the existing information online with regards to reviews, interviews, or the award it had won at TFW in 08!

Tony told me Friday at the Halloween Party, that RED VICTORIA will remain as it was named by Tony. They could not believe how something that had shown at several screenings just this year, had made such an impact this soon. So with all the info they were informed of, including the petition and some had sent them a list of websites where they could read more into it, they decided that it would only be detrimental to the movie if it was changed.

Red Victoria in its entirety with all of the new changes to the dvd, will be released Feb 14, 2009. So be on the look for it!!

WOOHOO!! We Won!!!

You are welcome Tony! Glad I could do something to keep it in all its originality, which is what makes it so GREAT!!!

Back