Strasbourg Film Festival

I contacted the festival regarding your post and was informed the award for this category had been withdrawn due to the overall limited number of entries into the category. There was no winner for the category which is why there was no mention of it on the festival's website.

Awards

Initially, you said that an award had not been announced for that category. Read quote below..

"When the winners were announced, they were not announced for my category, the "U18 - Young Filmmaker"."

Now you are saying something different.

Since the festival's press announcements regarding the awards were sent out on Sept 22 and the festival did not hear from you until Sept 23, it is safe to say that the award for Young Filmmaker was never awarded to anyone in that category.

Is it true that this is really the father, Ed, speaking under his son's name? Apparently, after several emails to the festival the father admitted that it was really him, not the young filmmaker, Luke, who was writing all the emails complaining his child didn't win the award.

My understanding is that your son's film screened at the festival. It sounds like you want a refund because your son's film did not win. If there were not enough entrants in your submitted category than it is appropriate no award was given. The category was not eliminated, only the award. Are you so sure your son would have won the award if there had been more applicants to the section? A festival has the right to withdraw an award if there is not a sufficient number of applicants. The festival's reputation is linked, to some degree, to the awards given. It sounds like the festival takes this seriously and for that reason withdrew the award, but not the category. You are better off being part of a festival that shows quality films where you don't win an award than being part of a festival that randomly hands out undeserved awards.

If Luke's film is deserving of awards, he will win them. How is Luke's film doing at other festivals? Have you sent it to other festivals? Has he won other awards? Don't focus on just one festival. There are plenty more festivals out there.

Actually, I just looked 'Luke's' film up on Withoutabox and apparently it was Ed, the father, not one of the twins, who directed "Girl with the Golden Ringlets". I believe that would make the film ineligible for any 'Young Filmmaker - Under 18' category as it was made by an adult. See below:

The Girl With Golden Ringlets United Kingdom
Directed by: Edward White
Written by: Edward White, Luke White, Martin White
Starring: Geoff Wickens, Chris Oldham
Created: 2007
Runtime: 23 min.
Member: boxclever

The category was not canceled. The award for the category was canceled.

The awards were announced to the press on Sept 22 with no mention of that category. You contacted the festival on Sept 23. Therefore, the press announcement was made prior to when the festival heard from you, so it was always the intention of the festival to withdraw the award for that category.

It seems the festival made a decision it felt was best for the festival. Aren't there other festival's you can submit to? If Girl With The Golden Ringlets is worthy of awards, it will win them.

Last edited:
Back