Where do i start?

I'm totally new at making films. I just bought a camera and I'm just now taking film classes at my college. I have an idea for a film, but I don't know how to get it started. Whats the first thing thats usually done for a film? Is the written story? Is the script written? How do I approach this idea? I would appreciate any comments or replays.

I'm sure everyone could (and does) start differently, so there is no one ultimate answer to this. Here are a few things to consider --

Start small. Get your feet wet with a short movie project -- something that will maybe run 5 - 10 minutes. These smaller projects will usually have less intense dialogue needs, so you could start by writing down the main story idea and fill in dialogue bits as you go. Something improv can work well as long as everyone knows the general intent of the scene and characters.

As you are thinking of the story ideas - try to imagine how they would look on the screen, what angles would look good? Can you draw at all? Maybe a rough sketch to remind you of camera placement.

Read up on the subjects of lighting, camera techniques, etc. Then get the camera and start shooting.

Naturally, you'll need and editing program, unless you have someone else to edit for you. Import the footage into your computer and start assembling the clips together into your movie.

Back