Canon XH A1 recording question

Hey there guys. I am going to dp a short film and one of the guys on the crew bought a new Canon XH A1. I wanted to take advantage of the cameras HD capabilities. Having a short in 1080i, at 24 fps, with a 18.5:1 aspect ratio sounded very sexy. Now, Can the camera record HD on the SD memory card? Or only of HDV tape? Any help on this would be awesome

There is a chance that data can be lost using tape.
There is a chance that data can be lost using cards.
There is a chance that data can be lost using HDD.
There is a chance that data can be lost on a hard drive.

I use PANASONIC AYDVM63AMQ and PANASONIC AYDVM83SQ
I recommend either one.

Drop outs/Data loss is the main problem with HDV, I've had dropouts numerous times using PANASONIC AYDVM63AMQ and had success too. But the Sony HDV digital master (expensive) I've had no problems. I don't think expensive means better, with digital tape, but if you're in a risky shooting scenario, then use the very best you can afford.

I would recommend this camera 100%, if image quality, features and price were the only factors. But, in the real world, reliability is also very high on my list, maybe even the top. When you plug something in and it just works... every time.

Editing can be a nightmare until setup properly, too. Make sure you understand the A1 workflow, for your NLE (that it's compatible too), before you invest. For the money though, this camera is extremely hard to beat, just make sure you find a tape stock that works consistently before you shoot your next big project.

Hope this helps

Back